Equal first (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey.

If you're equal first in a subject, how are the overall marks decided?

taeyang

HSC
Sometimes they check preliminary ranks/scores but most of the time they plug your assessment marks for each subject into an ATAR calculator and whoever has the biggest ATAR wins.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Sometimes they check preliminary ranks/scores but most of the time they plug your assessment marks for each subject into an ATAR calculator and whoever has the biggest ATAR wins.
?? Don't they already incorporate the assessment marks as 50% ?

HSC
sorry, i mean as in if you're ranked first in a subject do you recieve your own mark in the external exam? someone told me that no two people can be first and it's decided by some other means

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
sorry, i mean as in if you're ranked first in a subject do you recieve your own mark in the external exam? someone told me that no two people can be first and it's decided by some other means
They take the tied people's external marks and average the two to get the external moderated mark they assign.

HSC
They take the tied people's external marks and average the two to get the external moderated mark they assign.
really? that kinda sucks considering the guy who's equal first won't do so great externally...

teacher told me that it's the same - as if we were both individually first and tha we both get OUR OWN external mark

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
really? that kinda sucks considering the guy who's equal first won't do so great externally...

teacher told me that it's the same - as if we were both individually first and tha we both get OUR OWN external mark
Yes, as your external mark. But for your moderated assessment mark - you get the average.

theone111

HSC
N/A
that is such a FUCKING shit process
same shits happened to me... THREE TIMES

tied 1st in two subjects
and tied 3rd (with 2 others!) in another..

LIKE FOR FUCKS SAKEEEE
the school should be punished for not taking proper means of differentiating students

now im gonna get fucked over
gonna go die

brb

HSC
also, how sure are you of this shadow? is there a site that explains this somewhere?

just want to be absolutely sure

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Is there a site that explains it? Yes, the Board of Studies website.

HSC
yeah nevermind, just found it

so does this mean, for example, if i get a mark of 96 and he gets 90, my mark would be (93+96)/2 = 95?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
also, how sure are you of this shadow? is there a site that explains this somewhere?

just want to be absolutely sure
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html

Note that if a school submits assessment marks with two (or more) students tied on the top assessment mark, then the top moderated assessment mark is equal to the mean of the top two (or more) examination marks. This is also the case if students are tied on the bottom assessment mark. Please also note that the standard deviation is never used to moderate school assessment marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)