epidemiology (1 Viewer)

jess pollard 1

BIO- serch 4 betta health EPIDEMIOLOGY

HEY, just wondering, theres a few questions in past papers bout construcing an epidemiology on diseases. i kinda know what it is but how do you make up one or whatever?? HELP! anyone who knows some good info on this i'd really appreciate the help

glam7

HSC
1. Interview all the persons affected by the disease.Information about their age,sex,diet,occupation, lifestyle and general movements in the area will need to be gathered
2.Interview a similar sample of people in the area who have not been infected by the disease. These will need to compared to other communities.Both surveys should include a large number of people and include the collection of the same data gather collected from the disease affected group.
3.The data needs to be analysed statistically to identify any patterns or trends and identify similarities and differences between non-affected groups and compare these with the affected group
4 A possible cause of the disease will be identified and a management plan developed tp prevent the disease. this may include tests of possible cures or prevention strategiesand education of the populations.
5 the population is then monitored periodically

hope this helps

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
you can really bullshit with these. you just need to know what a reliable test will be, definition for epidemiology is also helpful.
study a range of samples (people or animals or whatever from different place and ages), have large sample groups, test or investigate for long periods of time eg smoking and lung cancer epidemiology needs to take into account age (lung cancer can occur due to age), where you live and work (a smokey bar maybe lol) but also over an extended period as cancer may not result for a long time after beginning smoking)
you need a control group of non smokers, and the rest may be smokers from different groups.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
jess pollard 1 said:
HEY, just wondering, theres a few questions in past papers bout construcing an epidemiology on diseases. i kinda know what it is but how do you make up one or whatever?? HELP! anyone who knows some good info on this i'd really appreciate the help
Large sample groups
Appropriate time frames
Valid methods of measurement
Different ages, genders, and social standing

Just generally things to make sure the test is fair.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)