Epidemiological Study (1 Viewer)

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
I think someone mentioned this in the "2003 HSC thoughts" thread, but meh

Q29 - 2003 HSC

"Design an epidemiological study to investigate the disease".

This question has alot more information in it, but i just need the basic outline of an epidemiological study because i cant find information on it anywhere.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
From my notes:
EPIDEMIOLOGY:
- Is the study of the incidence of diseases or risk factors in populations.
- Also includes a study of the possible factors that influence the incidence of these conditions.
from telepathetic's notes:
• Epidemiology is the study of the factors involved in the occurrence, prevalence and spread of infectious and non infectious diseases as well as incidents like car accidents, suicides and work related injuries.
• Epidemiology is used by public health authorities in order to provide information and strategies to better dwell with the causes of ill health within a population. In their studies epidemiologists compile data on the incidence, prevalence, morbidity and mortality rate
• There are three major types of epidemiological studies:
- descriptive: frequency, affected population (age, gender, occupation etc), location and time period
- Analytical: focus on finding a cause-effect relationship. Factors that preceded the epidemic such as baits of those effected prior to infection compared to similar individuals within the population that have not been affected (controls) they also focus on the results in the risk of exposure (e.g. smoking = lung cancer, uv light = skin cancer)
- Experimental: are used to test the effectiveness of particular treatments. Often referred to as clinical trials. These determine if we techniques or medication is safe for public exposure
basically it's like a prac. you come up with a hypothesis, and test the hypothesis, if it doesn't fit, then change your hypothesis and test again.

key word - epidemiology is study of RISK FACTORS, so you'd look at environmental (e.g. exposure to UV -> skin cancer) and social factors (e.g. overeating + lack of exercise -> obesity)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)