Enzyme Make-Up (1 Viewer)

Dayze

HSC
Hey,

Theres a syllabus point that says something about explaining the chemical make-up of an specific enzyme. I cannot find any info on this point...has anyone got any specific notes on this?, or can someone explain it to me.

Thanks,

Cab31

HSC
Just remember that enzymes are proteins. They therefore are subject to denaturation - i.e. If the environment gets too hot, or acidic, for example, then they change their structure and are no longer useful.

Think about an egg - which is mainly protein. When you expose it to heat, it changes (denatures) and cant ever go back to its original state.

The same thing can happen to enzymes, and, therefore, the conditions under which they function need to be kept stable.

Tingaling

HSC
hey!! thats a nice way to think of it.. making it easier for my brain to remember.. thanks

Master Gopher

HSC
Just to confuse you, they have found a very few enzymes made of RNA :D But ignore that, most textbooks &c assume they're all protein, and the HSC won't care.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Master_Gopher said:
Just to confuse you, they have found a very few enzymes made of RNA :D But ignore that, most textbooks &c assume they're all protein, and the HSC won't care.
It's called ribozyme. But you don't need to know that :D

Good luck for this week in the Biology Exam, everyone! (or whenever it is :confused: )

Carl_S

HSC
Cab31 said:
Just remember that enzymes are proteins. They therefore are subject to denaturation - i.e. If the environment gets too hot, or acidic, for example, then they change their structure and are no longer useful.

Think about an egg - which is mainly protein. When you expose it to heat, it changes (denatures) and cant ever go back to its original state.

The same thing can happen to enzymes, and, therefore, the conditions under which they function need to be kept stable.
It is more that the active zone alters and hence the substrate - or key - will not fit the enzyme active zone - or lock and that means that the enzyme won't work anymore!

P

pLuvia

If the enzyme denatures, the whole shape of the enzyme changes which alters the active sites which make the enzyme useless, and the cell will die.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)