Environmental careers (1 Viewer)

patty4848

HSC
I'm interested in environmental issues and I would really like to combine a uni course with law, and I'm wondering what careers are out there and what courses i could consider. I've already been informed about environmental science/law and planning/law, but is there anything else for people interested in geography/global issues/environment???

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Most of the work tends to be in government (at all levels), or with private companies, especially in the resources sector in Australia.

Combining with law would be brilliant if you want a career in planning, demand and money is great for graduates.

But really, it's a fast growing sector, and there's work in all sorts of areas if you're ambitious enough. Where would you like to see yourself working?

As for other courses, mabye development studies/law would interest you?

patty4848

HSC
I'm looking at moving to QLD, so at the moment the one really good degree I've seen is at Griffith uni, Bachelor of Law/Bachelor of Science (Environment - Urban and Regional Planning).
It just seems really interesting, and I've always wanted to do law, so i thought... why not combine!
I'm definitely interested in planning more than, say, being an environmental scientist, but yeah, i am just interested in seeing what's out there.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Having a background in the science side of things will give you a LOT more job opportunities though :)

patty4848

HSC
em_516 said:
Having a background in the science side of things will give you a LOT more job opportunities though :)
Even if you go into planning? I understand that it definitely would in environmental law for instance, but what about planning?

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Yeh probably (though I don't know for sure). People I've noticed in planning positions tend to have actual planning degrees obviously, but I'm sure a background in environmental science would help some too. If you can't get an environmental/planning type degree, something like environmental management would put you on the right track for planning too though.

The degree you're planning at Griffiths sounds like you'll be covering all bases really. I've had a look at environmental planning subjects at Griffiths before (considered a postgrad course at one stage) and imo (MY..haha) the courses seem pretty good and to cover all bases and that way you get law too!

Evilo

HSC
ANU said:
Undergraduate study @ the Fenner School

The Fenner School offers a range of exciting and relevant undergraduate degree programs:

* Bachelor and Honours degrees in Forestry, Resource & Environmental Management, and Sustainability;
* Geography and Human Ecology programs as part of Bachelor or Honours degrees in Arts or Science;

All programs are available full- or part-time, and are described in the respective Factsheets and Handbooks.

Undergraduate Degrees

Fenner School courses can be taken as a part of the following undergraduate degrees:

* BA, BSc (includes Geography and Human Ecology) and joint degrees
* Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies (Sustainability)
* BGOS(Hons) - Bachelor of Global & Ocean Sciences with Honours
* BSc (Forestry) and joint degrees
* BSc (Resource & Environmental Management) and joint degree
* Honours degrees

Students enrolled in other degrees can also take Fenner courses as allowed by their degree rules.

Majors

The Fenner School administers majors offered by both the Colleges of Arts and Social Sciences and Science, and contributes to others in both colleges.

Undergraduate Program Information

* Forestry
* Geography
* Human Ecology
* Resource & Environmental Management
* Sustainability
* Global and Ocean Sciences

patty4848

HSC
Evilo said:
Thanks for the career ideas. I didn't think about Ocean sciences, so thankyou. And also, thanks to those who have told me about ANU, but I'm not particularly interested in moving to Canberra.

Last edited:

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
with these sort of careers, i guess you'll be most likely to be working with the govt conducting reports and analysis. as with most govt jobs, it is a secure employment but don't expect the big bucks. it all depends how tight the govt is clamming down on the enviro issues, if they are real seriously about getting green, then big corporate companies will probably be forced to hire a team of experts to conduct and/or make up impact reports. that's when you can ask for the real money.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
wuddie said:
with these sort of careers, i guess you'll be most likely to be working with the govt conducting reports and analysis. as with most govt jobs, it is a secure employment but don't expect the big bucks. it all depends how tight the govt is clamming down on the enviro issues, if they are real seriously about getting green, then big corporate companies will probably be forced to hire a team of experts to conduct and/or make up impact reports. that's when you can ask for the real money.
:uhoh:

Why post when you don't know the first thing about the topic? Fucking useless.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
wuddie said:
elaborate.
Wuddie's analysis of prospects for graduates in the field of environmental careers: a critique by D. Graney

"i guess you'll be most likely to be working with the govt conducting reports and analysis. as with most govt jobs, it is a secure employment but don't expect the big bucks."

1. The use of "i guess" indicates the author is on shaky ground, a lack of research or any real experience in the field is evident
2. A lot of work is in the resources industry, and there is a lot of money to be made- possibility of 80k first year out of uni.
3. The op talks about wanting to work in planning. Contrary to Wuddie's advice, there is not only a good demand for professionals in planning, the pay is extremely good, and prospects for advancement are fine. Big bucks indeed.

"it all depends how tight the govt is clamming down on the enviro issues"

1. Welcome to the 80's. Modern business and government practice has long been all sustainable use and development.

"if they are real seriously about getting green, then big corporate companies will probably be forced to hire a team of experts"

1. Any sufficiently large industrial or commercial company already employs a team of environmental experts and/or consultants
2. You clearly have no idea how big the environmental industry is, globally, and how fast it is growing.

"that's when you can ask for the real money"

Someone qualified in enviro/law will command a lot of money, wherever they work

In conclusion,

Stop posting

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
look, i am not going to debate point for point, because anyone with a bit of intelligence can see your flaws. so i'll just leave it there and let you embarass yourself. good day to you.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
wuddie said:
look, i am not going to debate point for point, because anyone with a bit of intelligence can see your flaws. so i'll just leave it there and let you embarass yourself. good day to you.
lol

You're clearly wrong and you know it, but too much of a cunt to admit it.

How are you a mod?

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
wuddie said:
anyone with a bit of intelligence can see your flaws.
Tell me one thing I said that is incorrect? With all your experience and knowledge in the field of enviro sci graduates...

You're full of shit.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
wuddie said:
Hahaha. Ahhh, man.

You've been well and truly outplayed.

As usual.

How are you a mod?
Cos he's a special kid. :)

patty4848

HSC
I'm sorry for causing such a fuss lol. I didn't mean to start an argument, but thankyou anyways for your opinions. Mind you, money doesn't particularly bother me... as long as I'm doing something i will enjoy, and hence I don't particularly mind whether its in the government or a private organisation.

Thanks for the comments... and the argument (highly amusing)

Evilo

HSC
Graney said:
"that's when you can ask for the real money"

Someone qualified in enviro/law will command a lot of money, wherever they work
When you're hired under contract you can't demand anything like that - you can negotiate, but you have to sacrifice shit. If you don't like the money, then you don't apply for the job - pretty fucking simple.

Graney said:
In conclusion,

Stop posting
dude, seriously that was not worth trolling.
Wuddie's points was fine, just not in perfect argumentative English - apologies in advance if it was not up to your standard.

Also before you try and rip into me - i study environmental sciences so i know a little bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)