Entry into law with a 99.25 Atar? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

callum21

HSC
According to the BOS, 67931 students sat the HSC exams. Hence a 99.25 atar means I came about 510th in the state. (67931 x 0.9925 = 67421). Assuming that UNSW Law take in about 200 students a year, that would mean only 510 hsc students would gain entry before me. But seeing a USyd take in about 250, and their Atar cut off is 99.55 thats already 250 students out of the running, hence 260 would get into law before me. Also according to UNSW Med, the median atar of their 200 med students was 99.2, so assuming that the demand for these spots stay the same, thats another 100 taken out of the running. Hence, assuming that the students eligble for law under my atar (AAA or EAS) roughly match those other students with a higher atar than me that have chosen another course besides law, entry with a 99.25 atar seems plausible.
What does everyone think?

eyetalian

HSC
N/A
Hey

Don't worry about numbers - in all honest truth they mean nothing - I say this because - if UNSW take 200 law admissions - 200 of these aren't HSC graduates. The UAI is so artificially high because in essence the majority of people that actually get into UNSW Law are Graduate students - thus have already done an Undergraduate degree OR they are transfer students from either single degrees or other combined law programs.

Remember UNSW offers students a contract to people like you - if they don't get into UNSW in 2010, they can do an Arts or Commerce degree or something similar BUT NOT LAW in 2010 and provided they get a 70 WAM they are guaranteed a transfer in 2011. Therefore HSC graduates from 2008 who agreed to this contract but also have their 70 WAM are GUARANTEED in.

Why do they do this? Because then the UAI/ATAR for the course is not affected and therefore can stay artifically high - because really you SHOULD get in - you completely deserve it but they don't want to publish a UAI/ATAR mark lower than the previous year of 99.4 so they have to keep it high on the published record and by using the backdoor put everyone else through who received a mark than what was published by UAC.

All the best but just remember to be smart. If you really want for example Commerce/Law or Arts/Law - take the high road and do JUST Arts or JUST Commerce and then transfer in the event that you don't get in for 2010.

shuttle_bus5

HSC
99.25 does not mean you beat 99.25% of the state.
17% of students this year got an ATAR over 90

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)