enrolment help... (1 Viewer)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
hey ppl, i got some questions regarding enrolment into classes for B.Engineering (i wanna do mechatronic).

Firstly, im enrolling into ENGG1000 and im not sure wat to choose...
u see, there are 12 options and i gotta choose classes from 1 of those options. the thing is..option 1 is full of lectures, option 2 has lab, lect, and tut, option 3 has lect and tut-lab, option 4 has lect and tut, ............ (i dont wanna go on)
the main thing is, which one should i do? will i be disadvantaged if i did the one with just lectures, since there would be no tuts or lab, or should i do one with all 3, or should i do the one with lect and tut?

Secondly, maths 1231 or 1241, which one should i do, im doin 1131 and i think 1241 mite be hard for me, but will i be disadvantaged in the long run if i did 1231 instead of 1241?
my hsc math mark was 84, if that helps, and im doin maths bridging course for ext1 maths..

Thirdly, phys 1121 or 1131, physix or higher physix? again, will i be disadvantaged in the long run if i did physix instead of higher physix?
my hsc physix mark was 74, if that helps..

Fourthly (and finally), "Please choose 2 electives from the year 1 elective list" http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/rules/elective.htm, the site suggests
what do u engineering uni students suggest?

Thanx in advance :)

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
welcome to the crib. i got some answers for you.

engg1000 is possibly the biggest waste of time subject you'll ever get. depends on what you are studying, eg. civil, mining, mechanics..., you can choose the project relevant to your course. at this point, you don't know what the options are (or if you do, just go ahead and choose), so i suggest you sit back and wait till they tell you about it in wk2 or 3

you haven't even started math1131 yet, how can you possibly know what it will be like? 1231 is the continuation of 1131, 1241 is a bit harder, and they are for semester 2, worry about it when you finish sem 1.

don't even think about phys1131 unless you caned hsc physics (ie 90+). because let me tell you, they teach things at the speed of light at uni.

again, electives for sem 2. you really ought to know what you are doing when, 'cos uni is way harder than that.

anyway, good luck. pm me for anything further

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
engg1000 was probably the funnest course I took last year :) (I did the comp engg stream). I would definitely look at what projects their doing and join one that interest you. the comp engg stream built lego robots and programmed them to have a summo fight as well as a maze rescue mission where you had to find a water bottle in a maze and bring it back :D

if you didn't do extension math in high school, you should just do math1131. if you enjoy math and have preferably done extension 2 (or did well in extension1) then go for math1141. otherwise unless you'll be doing a lot more math later on(even then they assume that not everyone has done higher math and will fill in gaps where necessary), you won't be dissadvantaged at all. I think higher math and physics is recommended for electrical engineering and possibly mechatronics(?) though, but you won't be dissadvantaged much at all if you don't.

I didn't do higher physics, but I know quite a few people who did, and for the most part, their marks corrolated pretty well with their math mark since there's a lot of math and problem solving in physcis. I don't think you need a 90+ in HSC physics since they're quite different, someone doing general math but can memorize stuff and has decent writing skills can get 90+ in hsc physics, but they certainly won't be able to at uni, whereas someone who aced extension 2 math in the hsc with horendous writing skills can probably do pretty well in uni physics.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
Omie Jay said:
will i be disadvantaged in the long run if i did 1231 instead of 1241?
no you would not be disadvantaged. most people do Maths 1131/1231 instead of the Higher Course. i posted in a thread not long ago about this (http://community.boredofstudies.org...ilt-environment/163755/math1141-math1131.html)
Omie Jay said:
Thirdly, phys 1121 or 1131, physix or higher physix? again, will i be disadvantaged in the long run if i did physix instead of higher physix?
my hsc physix mark was 74, if that helps..
To be honest, there is hardly any difference between 1121 and 1131. You learn the same material, go to the same lectures, and 90% of the exams questions are the same. But again, just doing the standard course is fine.

But if the physics seems really hard at first, just remember everyone else is thinking the same thing! also, keep up with the tutorial questions that they give you, and attend all the lectures no matter how boring they are (easier said than done...)
Omie Jay said:
Fourthly (and finally), "Please choose 2 electives from the year 1 elective list" http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/rules/elective.htm, the site suggestswhat do u engineering uni students suggest?

Thanx in advance :)
just do the recommended electives - if you intend on following the standard mechatronics plan (http://www.mech.unsw.edu.au/content/userDocs/basicMTRN_from06.pdf) these subjects are pre-requisites for things in 2nd year.

good luck and enjoy the rest of the holidays!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)