enrolling into commerce/arts (1 Viewer)

IronMike

HSC
N/A
One quick question. If you do B Commerce/B Arts, is it possible to do TWO majors from commerce and TWO majors from Arts?? or is it ONE major from Commerce and ONE from arts?

miffytoki

HSC
i'm hopin to do a double major in commerce and a single major in arts....(at this stage)....i think u can do double majors in both....not sure

Dirt Poor

HSC
It is definitely possible. I had a plan worked out at one stage so that I could double major in Finance and HRM for Commerce and double major in Psychology and Japanese for Arts.

Took me a while to realise that it's a pretty silly idea to spread yourself that thin. It's best to have good knowledge of a few diciplines than to have only a basic understanding of many.

I'd say quadruple majoring is taking it too far. Triple is fine.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
miffytoki said:
if u put u're bad times as u're days off tho....what happens if they put u're tutorial at the same time as u're lecture?
They won't do that unless you put in a time that clashes with your lecture.

Either way - if you are unhappy with your preferences when you get them back on the first day of uni, RUN to the Commerce labs in the Quad building and change your classes to something that have vacancies. Do this ASAP as classes tend to fill up quickly. (It's not preferences anymore, you pick the class time and you automatically enrol in it)

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
so u can only use TAS if ur BEc/BCom student? i chose econ1101 for BA... do i still get tutorials, and apply my preffered tute sessions with TAS?

now TAS makes me worry about all the other lectures w/o tutes. i only have 8 contact hours altogether....they're all lectures....?!

Dirt Poor

HSC
You still get tutorials. Tutorials are the main part of most subjects. You'll get quizzes in some tutorials, most will mark attendance, you get more of an opportunity to ask questions, etc.

Go to the FCE website, log onto TAS, use the drop-down menu to add any commerce courses you are taking in semester 1 (which would be ECON1101) and then select your preferred tutorial times.

What other subjects are you taking without tutes? Most subjects have tutes. If you weren't able to select the tutes through my.unsw.edu.au, you will able to choose them on campus in the first week of semester.

Last edited:

miffytoki

HSC
argh!! thought i had finished with all this enrollment stuff....i only enrolled in 5 hrs worth of spanish classes when the handbook said it was 6 hrs....one lecture and two x 2 hr tutorials....am i missin a lab?

rainonmay

floating around
HSC
how do u enrol in a tutorials coz i dont seem to b able to every time i try to log into that TAS thing it says wrong student ID or PW... ive enrolled in lectures though

miffytoki

HSC
rainonmay said:
how do u enrol in a tutorials coz i dont seem to b able to every time i try to log into that TAS thing it says wrong student ID or PW... ive enrolled in lectures though
activate u're unipass...do that on the "your a student page" where is says administrative things to do..u need to accept their terms and conditions.

rainonmay

floating around
HSC
miffytoki said:
activate u're unipass...do that on the "your a student page" where is says administrative things to do..u need to accept their terms and conditions.
hmm....... that doesnt seem to work... i cant sign in... its the same username and pw as the one i enter to accept my offer right?

miffytoki

HSC
yeh...i dunno then try emailing the administrative ppl...i just got a reply from when i emailed them before (before i figured out what was wrong with mine...)

heres a pasted bit

"There are a number of reasons why you could be experiencing difficulty with your UNIPass and TAS.

* If your UNIPass is longer than 8 characters then you will not be able to use TAS, as TAS is a legacy system and requires that the password should be between 6 and 8 characters in length. You can change your UNIPass by visiting the Dis><Connect web page and choosing the "DIY Service" link under the Quick Links heading. Remember to keep your UNIPass within 6 to 8 characters in length so that you can continue to use the Faculty of Commerce & Economics computer systems.

* You will need to authenticate your UNIPass by agreeing to the rules of the University. Please visit the Dis><Connect web site at url: http://www.disconnect.unsw.edu.au and then choosing the "Agree to the Rules" link under the Quick Links heading and following the steps outlined. "

Last edited:

Dirt Poor

HSC
miffytoki said:
argh!! thought i had finished with all this enrollment stuff....i only enrolled in 5 hrs worth of spanish classes when the handbook said it was 6 hrs....one lecture and two x 2 hr tutorials....am i missin a lab?
I'm pretty sure the final hour will be what they call "self-directed study" (or something like that). I think they just lock you in a room with your spanish textbook for an hour. :cool: Best to go to the School of Spanish & Latin American Studies website and see if you can download a copy of the course manual for your intro subject. It should tell you what that final hour is.

miffytoki

HSC
Dirt Poor said:
I'm pretty sure the final hour will be what they call "self-directed study" (or something like that). I think they just lock you in a room with your spanish textbook for an hour. :cool: Best to go to the School of Spanish & Latin American Studies website and see if you can download a copy of the course manual for your intro subject. It should tell you what that final hour is.
yeah...i think u're right...what a waste of time....can't we do that at home?

ramanij

hi can someone plz help me i am doign actuary at UNSw this year and have come to the stage of enrollment where i ahve to pick my units.

i have picked the 3 cores

Microeco
Accounting and FInancial management 1A
Math for Actuarial studies and Finance

However i do not know what my 4th one should be as if i choose "Higher Mathematics 1A" i have a clash of times there are other courses such as "marketing fundamentals" can i choose on of these ? and in semester 2 complete my other core units??

thx

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
ok.. you guys just lost me lol

I'm just gonna go to the uni and ask on the 27th..

btw, how wierd was the cutoff! ridiculas! :mad:

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
ok... so let me guess this straight... I found out two days ago that I got accepted into commerce, and now we are supposed to be setting out our timetables and choosing electives? wtf... I don't even know what each of the electives are yet. I need more time to know what is what!

Dirt Poor

HSC
IronMike:
If you took a language (the same one) for both of the Arts courses in year 1, then yes, quite easy.

BillyMak:
You've got aaaages to work out what courses you want to enrol in. Many weeks. Just start having a read through the UNSW handbook website for your degree and reading about the different subjects or majors you can do. Look at the information package they sent out to you and find the times that you can go in for an academic advisory session. If you have no clue about what you want to do, it will help you.

Me though... I've known what I wanted to do for a long time. I had my timetable planned out for Commerce/Science for months before I even got accepted (which I really didn't expect to happen).

miffytoki

HSC
BillyMak said:
ok... so let me guess this straight... I found out two days ago that I got accepted into commerce, and now we are supposed to be setting out our timetables and choosing electives? wtf... I don't even know what each of the electives are yet. I need more time to know what is what!
i guess thats y they give u heaps o time plus that enrolling day thingy...my sister said tho that during the first couple of weeks at uni they don't do anything cos its like a buffer for the new students.....(she did comm/law at unsw)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)