enrolling into commerce/arts (1 Viewer)

miffytoki

HSC
ok so i'm trying to choose my classes for my first year after enrolling thru uac...can someone pls correct me if i'm wrong...but in the first year on my commerce side, do i have to choose;

Accounting and financial management 1A and 1B,
Microeconomics 1,
Macroeconomics 1,
Quantitative Methods A and B.

? ???

anyhoo i've also elected to study spanish on my arts side...but was wondering because the course involves 6 contact hours, does anyone know what that'll be spaced out as? like would i be able to get away with maybe 4 days at uni?

thanks

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
wtf... I thought everyone who did Commerce had the same units for the first year.

miffytoki

HSC
BillyMak said:
wtf... I thought everyone who did Commerce had the same units for the first year.
i'm confused...aren't those the same units everyone has? the above subjects are the core classes that everyone HAS to pick right?

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
I am under the same impression, freaking out if it's not that way because I'm not sure what electives I want to do yet...

miffytoki

HSC
BillyMak said:
I am under the same impression, freaking out if it's not that way because I'm not sure what electives I want to do yet...
haha yer ok then at least we're agreeing with one another

miffytoki

HSC
also does anyone know if its ok to enroll in a class say A at 1-2pm and then enroll in another class from 2pm - 3pm....is it ok to be a bit late to lectures?

Dirt Poor

HSC
Being late to lectures is common. Lecturers often don't start until 5 or so minutes past the hour because they understand that people have to come from other classes (sometimes at the opposite end of campus).

You've got it right:

Semester 1:
ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A (6 UOC)
ECON1101 Microeconomics 1 (6 UOC)
ECON1202 Quantitative Methods A (6 UOC)
((ARTS SUBJECT))

Semester 2:
ACCT1511 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1B (6 UOC)
ECON1102 Macroeconomics 1 (6 UOC)
ECON1203 Quantitative Methods B (6 UOC)
((ARTS SUBJECT))

If you don't mind me asking, what made you choose Commerce/Arts over Commerce? With Commerce you could still do a normal business-orientated major as well as a major in Spanish. Or do you have other humanities you are interested in as well?

(good luck with Spanish. I had the joy of watching people stress for their major assessments in Introductory Spanish B last semester)

miffytoki

HSC
Dirt Poor said:
Being late to lectures is common. Lecturers often don't start until 5 or so minutes past the hour because they understand that people have to come from other classes (sometimes at the opposite end of campus).

You've got it right:

Semester 1:
ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A (6 UOC)
ECON1101 Microeconomics 1 (6 UOC)
ECON1202 Quantitative Methods A (6 UOC)
((ARTS SUBJECT))

Semester 2:
ACCT1511 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1B (6 UOC)
ECON1102 Macroeconomics 1 (6 UOC)
ECON1203 Quantitative Methods B (6 UOC)
((ARTS SUBJECT))

If you don't mind me asking, what made you choose Commerce/Arts over Commerce? With Commerce you could still do a normal business-orientated major as well as a major in Spanish. Or do you have other humanities you are interested in as well?

(good luck with Spanish. I had the joy of watching people stress for their major assessments in Introductory Spanish B last semester)
cool....what degree do u do? commerce i'm guessing? how are u finding it?

and yer i decided to do arts cos those subjects kinda interested me like politics and literature...sort of thought it would broaden my commerce side a little bit. thanks heaps for replying.....i just spend the last hour enrolling...man i managed to get all my classes on 3 days...but man is it choccas...i'm scared if and when i have to enroll in tutorials that it'll push my schedule to 5 days at uni....

Oh and btw Have u heard if spanish is really hard?

Dirt Poor

HSC
Oh, as for the spacing out of the Spanish subject:
You go to the lecture on Thursday and then two tutorials which are paired up. There are four sets of Monday+Wednesday tutorials and two sets of Tuesday+Thursday tutorials. If you go for the one of the latter pairs then you might be able to fit your Commerce subjects in so that you only have a few days a week.

Something like.

Intro Spanish A:
Lecture: Thu 3pm
Tutorials: Tue 4pm-6pm & Thu 4pm-6pm

Microeconomics 1:
Lectures: Tue 1pm & Wed 1pm

Accounting and Fin Mgmt 1A -
Lectures: Tue 12pm & Thu 12pm

Quantitative Methods A:
Lectures: Tuesday 11pm & Thu 1pm

That's all of your lectures and your Spanish tutorials out of the way over two days. There are lots of tutorials for your three Commerce subjects (as you'll see when you hope on TAS @ the FCE.unsw website) as so many people do them, so you shouldn't have any problems getting a three day week. Maybe even a two-day week if you don't mind having very full days on Tuesday and Thursday.

miffytoki

HSC
oh i see...hrmm...well i got 3 days..and they're pretty choccas

Accounting at Tue 10:00 am - 11:00 am, Thu 10:00 am - 11:00 am... Microeconomics Tue 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm, Wed 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm ......Quantitative Methods @ Tue 11:00 am - 12:00 pm, Thu 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm .... Spanish @ Thu 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm and TUTes @ Tue 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm and Thu 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm

Last edited:

Dirt Poor

HSC
Aww you mean I just wrote that out for nothing? Haha. Ah well, someone else might find it useful.

I just transferred from Science into Commerce/Science. I did both the level one Economics courses and both the level one Finance courses. This year I've just got to do the Accounting level ones and then I'm clear to take the rest of my Commerce electives as Finance (and all of my Science ones as Psychology). QMA + QMB aren't subject I have to worry about.

Commerce isn't that hard. If you work consistantly throughout the year, you'll get good marks. You won't have to study as hard as you did in the HSC. In something like Economics, if you just read the textbook chapters and do the tutorial exercises you'll be fine (and re-do the tutorial exercises for pre-exam study).

Languages are a lot of work at uni. Not difficult as such, but they'll take up a lot of your time if you're wanting to get good marks in them. I was originally going to do Commerce/Arts and a language, but decided to just focus on Psychology by doing Commerce/Science. UNSW has a great "Institute of Languages" at Randwick TAFE where you can learn languages outside of your uni program (that's my plan anyway).

miffytoki

HSC
cool ..thanks for the advice.........gawd.......i'm trying to enroll into semester 2 now...ok....*thinks*

Dirt Poor

HSC
What about your QMA, Accounting and Microeconomics tutorials? I figure you've probably been told this already, but just in case you haven't, you have to select them on different site than my.unsw.edu.au

Go to http://www.fce.unsw.edu.au and click on the link that says "TAS Class Preferences".

hasterz

HSC
excuse me for my ignorance but i cant seem to find comm/arts cutoffs on the UAC website for UNSW, can some1 plz tell me what it was.

miffytoki

HSC
Dirt Poor said:
What about your QMA, Accounting and Microeconomics tutorials? I figure you've probably been told this already, but just in case you haven't, you have to select them on different site than my.unsw.edu.au

Go to http://www.fce.unsw.edu.au and click on the link that says "TAS Class Preferences".
yer...kinda hvaen't reached that pointyet..but i'm scared cos those three days are so choccas that i don't think i can fit a tutorial on there..i'm scared it'll ruin my three day timetable...

miffytoki

HSC
argh just logged into TAS...can't figure out what all these numbers mean...how do i submit a preference?

Dirt Poor

HSC
Each number has a day and time next to it (in 24 hour four-digit time).

You select at least three good times for each subject (by choosing the appropriate numbers for each time) and some bad ones too. I just put the bad times as the days I want off (even though you can only choose five).

You could always do your Commerce tutorials at 9am on each of the three days you go to campus if you fancy getting up early. Getting up early vs. Going to uni more days a week. Tough call

miffytoki

HSC
Dirt Poor said:
Each number has a day and time next to it (in 24 hour four-digit time).

You select at least three good times for each subject (by choosing the appropriate numbers for each time) and some bad ones too. I just put the bad times as the days I want off (even though you can only choose five).

You could always do your Commerce tutorials at 9am on each of the three days you go to campus if you fancy getting up early. Getting up early vs. Going to uni more days a week. Tough call
thanks for that

miffytoki

HSC
if u put u're bad times as u're days off tho....what happens if they put u're tutorial at the same time as u're lecture?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)