enrolling in med @ UNSW (1 Viewer)

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
i was just wondering how you enrol for medicine at unsw?..i've added Foundations and Health Practice to semester 1 and the other two (forgot ethe names) for semester 2...now wat do i do? theres no timetable or anythin?

thx in advance

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
Health practice? assuming everything's the same as last year, and there's no reason it wouldn't be, your courses for this year should be:
Sem 1
MFAC 1501: foundations
MFAC 1502: society + health
Sem 2
MFAC 1503: beginnngs, growth and dev.
MFAC 1504: health maintenance

once you've put those in and gone through all the steps, you're set up as far as enrolling goes. you don't have a regular timetable, so you will have to look it up on eMed (med faculty's online admin service, will all be explained to you later) every week or so. it would be wise to go in to uni and get your id card before o-week and week 1 (lines are huuuuge and there are much better things to do). Also, come to medcamp; info should be in the bundle the faculty will send out to you soon. :)

kate.kate

HSC
ah, i was just about to ask exactly the same question!
i have no idea if i enrolled properly or anything either :p
but from the sounds of things i think i did.

i got in to UNSW med too so hopefully i'll see you there ;o)

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Curses to their 28CP cap... !!!
Mervvyn: when was the camp last year?

nit

HSC
The weekend following the first week of med...around the 5th of march or something like that.

fluffy

HSC
N/A
Is the camp compulsory? How was yours last year? Was it great? Personally I don't really like camping especially with people I don't really know, it's scaryy!! >.<

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
HSC
it's not compulsory at all, in fact the places are limited (by logistics and availability at the location) to about 130-40 first years (out of ~240 or so, i don't know how big 1st year is this year) plus some 2nd years (like me) to run things. it was really good last year, most people who went had a really good time, and more importantly, got to know people and made friends so that they didn't feel like they were surrounded by strangers - that's the aim of the weekend. plus, it's not a camp in the "roughing it" sense, it's in cabins with bathrooms + electricity, the food's good etc. it's a good weekend, you'll enjoy it. :)

SiMpLYiMaGiNaRy

15 days..
HSC
Help!!

Argh i'm going through the unsw enrolling checklist but i can get any ticks for ''what now?'' and everything after it! does this have anything to do with not being able to view my timetable?? and to log on to eMed, is username our student number and password the UniPass? coz its not working..thanks..

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Re: Help!!

Nit and mervvyn: thanks.
By cap I meant as in you can't do more than 28CP in a given semester. Life would be so much easier if it was 30.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
HSC
Re: Help!!

@simplyimaginary: i mentioned this before, but med doesn't have a regular timetable that you can get from myunsw. eMed uses student no.s eg z3xxxxxx or whatever and unipass, but i wouldn't worry about no access yet - probably not until the week before semester starts (i don't know really, but in any case you should be at o-week that week not on a comp :)) With the enrolling, from memory there is only so far you can go on it and get ticks, it's something of a glitch. it's fairly common, check the main unsw forum about it

@estel: i see what you mean. however, the first year of med is laid out in its entirety and everyone does the same thing - no gen eds or arts subjects until 2nd year. that may sound disappointing if you had your heart set on doing arts subjects already, but most people find med takes up plenty of time and energy as is.

SiMpLYiMaGiNaRy

15 days..
HSC
wooh thanks heaps ^^...i just wanted to get all this enrolment business over and done with coz i was just imagining how horrible it would be if some admin issues stuffed up the course XD thanks again

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Estel said:
Curses to their 28CP cap... !!!
Mervvyn: when was the camp last year?
You will soon learn to realise the benefits of doing as little as possible.

Forget about trying to do more than you have to. Really.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Fosweb said:
You will soon learn to realise the benefits of doing as little as possible.

Forget about trying to do more than you have to. Really.
You're probably right. :p
It's just a matter of wanting to overload a bit every semester to keep the option of Arts Honours open- 7.5 years is a lot worse than 7. Ahh well.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Of course there is also the rather inviting prospect of passing every semester and becoming a doctor.

Food for thought.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
HSC
Estel said:
You're probably right. :p
It's just a matter of wanting to overload a bit every semester to keep the option of Arts Honours open- 7.5 years is a lot worse than 7. Ahh well.
you don't have much choice in the matter for 1st year, but if you're keen on the arts/honours overloading angle, there are a few students who could explain how to do it from 2nd year on - the 7 years for both is possible i think. the timetabling clashes between regular subjects and med are not pretty though.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Mervvyn: thanks for that. I guess I'll ask around later.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
University isn't just a doctor-factory, where you go simply for the sake of your "medical training". It is a place for learning, and even if it is not necessarily related to one's intended profession I do not believe that learning for interest is to be discouraged.

I would love to get an BA/MBBS, it would give me the chance to advance so many of my interests (such as Japanese, Latin, and Theology) but I don't have the rigour for it. If someone here does, we should not admonish but rather encourage them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)