English warning! (1 Viewer)

jerseyshore

HSC
Hey all,

Just a warning to those who memorise tutor written essays and creative writing,

Teachers may compare the sophistication of your belonging comprehension responses to other sections. Quite a few in my skool successfully got zeros due to 17+/20 for modules, but a 6-8/15 for comprehension.

As well, depending on how an*l your skool is, a plagiarism detector software (containing archives of uni papers + sites) may be used, like a girl in my skool who copied from the paper of a postgrad

:) Good luck all

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Your school's method is debatable though - you might be bad at comprehension but better at essays.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey all,

Teachers may compare the sophistication of your belonging comprehension responses to other sections. Quite a few in my skool successfully got zeros due to 17+/20 for modules, but a 6-8/15 for comprehension.

As well, depending on how an*l your skool is, a plagiarism detector software (containing archives of uni papers + sites) may be used, like a girl in my skool who copied from the paper of a postgrad

Are you saying that a gulf in standards gives teachers the right to fail a student? This doesn't sound right. This isn't enough evidence to prove wrongdoing.

Is it even worth warning about plagiarism? Students should know this.

Cl324

HSC
N/A
Wdf.. What if your just bad at comprehension and good at essay writing? They're so different and for essays you're basically spoonfed techniques by teachers. I reckon you should raise this up with the principal because 'evidence' that plagiarism has occured is circumstantial at best.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, although it might be an indication, it's unfair to make a conclusion from someone's comprehension results. Your school is pretty much basing all your assessments from the comprehension and by that, I mean that your school is limiting marks that someone can achieve based solely on his/her comprehension skills.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think it's fair, most people practice their essays more because they are worth more marks. But if there is large discrepancy perhaps, but only supported by other signs of cheating/plagarism.

HSC
Uni Grad
Agree with all comments, sure it might be an indication but without anything with more it's just pointless and baseless speculation as to whether or not they've memorised or anything else.

Waste of time comparing comp results and essay results really.

king chopper

HSC
I don't think it's fair, most people practice their essays more because they are worth more marks. But if there is large discrepancy perhaps, but only supported by other signs of cheating/plagarism.
Comprehension and the essay are worth the same amount of marks

enoilgam

HSC
Hey all,

What your school is doing is grossly unfair and wrong - it is possible to do well in one section and poorly in another WITHOUT having cheated. The school needs conclusive proof of cheating in order to penalise you.

yoyoyoshi

HSC
N/A
Unbelievable...
Well, they have no proof supporting their assumption but to think they'd give straight up 0's without any evidence/hesitation. It's disappointing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)