English Tutoring from a doctoral student and high band 6 achiever (96/100) (2 Viewers)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the help rebecca :)

Have you tried to run holiday courses for students?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Unfortunately, I am not allowed to do more than 2 bumps per day so instead, I have decided to advertise on my signature :D

WriteWayUp

HSC
Uni Grad
Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
A guide to writing band 6 thesis statements and introductions here: https://sleightofpen.com/2016/07/04/how-to-write-a-band-6-thesis-statement-hsc-module-b-hamlet/

Definitely check it out if you're doing Hamlet as your Mod B text!
Great info here :D

Hopefully it'll help me out with my Mod B assessment (I'm doing a different Shakesperean text though)

Also I thought of another idea, how about I bump you in Falsefallacy's ad, that way I am bumping 2 people at once with only one comment? ;)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
A nice thought, eyeseeyou. But I don't imagine Falsefallacy would be too pleased with that. :haha:
Well you made a comment in his essay marking thread and whenever I bump it and people look at his ad, they are seeing your comments as well so I think it'd be a great idea (btw I don't think Falsefallacy comes on this forum that often)

See what I posted here: http://community.boredofstudies.org...-1-49-essay-marking-all-prescribed-texts.html

I could post up your ad here to do a double advertising in one thread thing lol

BTW when it comes to shakespearean texts and module B, what do I have to keep in mind other than the context (time frame) it was composed in (and the issues surrounding it)

Say you were to do a text like Romeo and Juliet (highly unlikely though), wouldn't of you of had taken into account of how Shakespeare got this idea from an Italian Composer? (I can't remember much on Romeo and Juliet since it's been a while since I studied it lol)

WriteWayUp

HSC
Uni Grad
Context in Module B is relevant only if it contributes to your own critical reading of the play. For example, if you were to read Othello as a play about racial prejudice, you would spend a paragraph or less discussing the status of North Africans in Venice during the 16th century, and how the character Othello highlights their exclusion from Venetian society. Contextual discussion for Module B is incidental - that is, it is inevitable that you touch on it as you elaborate on your critical reading, but it is not something you deliberately focus on as it is with Module A. In this band 6 essay introduction on the 2014 Module B question on Hamlet, you can see that the thesis is based on how the characters demonstrate values of nobility and glory dominant in the 16th century. In the essay body however, you are not going to be discussing those values at length (such as tying them to specific events or movements), and how the composers challenge those values as you would for Module A. It's enough to just emphasise that what those values are, then move on to how techniques and language features are used to represent conformism to those values (Fortinbras and Laertes) and subversion of them (Hamlet).

As for Shakespeare's sources, they are important when considering his context only if they relate to wider contextual issues/events - e.g. for Julius Caesar, the fact that Shakespeare's primary historical source Plutarch is worth analysing briefly because of the wider contextual event of a revival of interest in ancient Greek and Roman thinkers during the Renaissance.

For Romeo and Juliet, the fact that Shakespeare borrowed the plot of the play from Masuccio Salernitano is relevant only if you are going to discuss it in terms of what Shakespeare changed about the original Italian plot to make it more appealing to his English audience - that is, what issues/preoccupations did he put into his version of the Italian story so that it reflected the values/interests of his English audience?

Last edited:

WriteWayUp

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm looking for two junior tutors to take on some students on my waiting list. If you're a recent high school graduate, or an older undergraduate/honours student looking for flexible and well-remunerated tutoring opportunities, then send me an email to rebecca@sleightofpen.com with your resume, and an outline of your marks for English in the HSC.

Last edited:

WriteWayUp

HSC
Uni Grad
Trials are looming, and many of you are probably frantically writing practice essays, or for those who have taken it easy so far, still looking for a decent related text. This article has you covered - it has a sample paragraph linking Judith Wright to a related text for People & Landscape called A Bend in the River. This is a novel by the Nobel prize winner V.S. Naipaul. Even if you don't end up using that novel, make sure you take a look for tips on how to write about related texts so that your analysis addresses the rubric.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)