English Standard - IMAGE (1 Viewer)

destination

hey guys n gals
we studied "STRICTLY BALLROOM" for IMAGE at school, well i need a text of my own choosing, can anyone suggest something? please?
n i dont know what to write in the essay, i end up re-telling the story all the time... which im not suppposed to do:confused:
can anyone suggest any techniques or tips how to write essay for this certain topic?? thankyou
:D

JasonM

i got 16 for my strictly ballroom trials. if u rekon thats good enough u can ask me

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
okay instead of focusing on the whole movie
PICK only 2/3 scenes to work on and analyse it in full details
(this was stated in the marking guidelines 'best students only analyse 2/3 scenes in full detail instead of the movie as a whole.. sumfing like dat)

yeh u shouldnt re-tell teh story..

your related text - pick ones you can link back with, picks ad eg sumfing a perspectice of a camera angle liek a car advertisement usualy has a low angle and makes it look powerful u can link this back to barry fife character.. him behide his desk he says 'sure you can dance any steps you like but that doent you will WIN... zoom up of MEANIE face .. --> zoom up shows his power

hope that helps you .. any further help just ask =)

destination

heLLO

Thankyou for your kind replies guys and gals.. bunch of helpful people :)
can anyone help me? like does anyone have sample essay i can get the idea from or some techniques you have used in you essay to achieve marks..
In the trials i reffered to the story basically talking about some of the features of the film such as Fran as the Ugly Duckling and Juxtposition of two father characters... i ended up getting 10/20
but the problem i am currently facing is, how can i improve that :confused:
please any help would be greatly appreciated..
:D thanks all :)

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
Originally posted by cheri_986
i only got 13 for my trial, lol. I need quotes if anyone has any?
dont use quotes you only wastign brain storage heheh!! IT abt image not the storyline

i could post my trial essay up (got 18/20) .. but the writing is realli unreadable -.- and hehe i gonna use that as a basis of my actual exam ..

destination

hey

hey sukiyaki
thanks for the help man.. i'd really appreciate if you can email the essay to me?
read you Private Messages i sent one to ya
thanks dude..
Gud luck everyone!
peace.....

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
im not sending it to anyone =(

i gave u my notes but not my essay ...

Originally posted by Mathematician
I dont think he meant he'll give it to anyone.. But if he did .me too plz :D
im insulted.. IM A SHE not a he!

Natske

OMG if you get this msg which i doubt... i really need help with Strictly Ballroom as well!!! your notes would be greatly appreciated... pretty plz!!! im screwed!!

lulu@froggy.com.au

destination

Originally posted by sukiyaki
i could post my trial essay up (got 18/20) .. but the writing is realli unreadable -.- and hehe i gonna use that as a basis of my actual exam ..
u said u'll post it man.. :(
comeon.. help us out...
thanks

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
i said i could ...dont twist my words

yeh i said i help you out you want my notes? (not essay)

destination

hello?

hello?
hey man i thought you were going to help..
but looks like ur busy too..
well keep it up..
good luck to you all hope u kill the exams..

laterz!

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
sorry destination i was busy
oopz cant attach file.. file too big..
okay i type some up...

opening scene:
curtain - symbol for a threatrical like film
wording (in the begining) - the star represents simliar like story to a fairy tale
the use of the mock doucmentary to create an establishment of the characters

themes
competition - used of the "box in" effect to show the representation of competitiveness in ballroom dancing. The idea of liz not winning zoom up of a clsoe up of her face. We see the emotions she felt..
individuality - how the camera shows the idea of fran dancing around scott, the surrounding environment when scott dances by himself. Notice the images shown are represented through his body language and facial expressions.
passion - speed of movement at the pam pacifics when fran dances with scott. This idea shows the gracefully and passion. notice the strong colour 'red' in their costumes.

characters:
liz - she is her yellow, her room is yellow as well. Notice in the mock doumentary the camera is at a high angle looking down at her.. 'where the man goes the lady must follow'. The use of this made her look powerless and weak.
fran - changes gradually from big glasses and oversized shirt to wearing tighter clothing.

Last edited:

destination

hey

hey man..
thanks for replying..
well thanks for the notes.. im getting a bit of idea now..
but is it best to analyse one character and write about... or better to do a mixture?..
would the essay structure be just simple
introduction
film as a satire
themes / colours / music
relate to character
image portrayed
text of own choosing
conclusion
would that be alrite?
thanks man..
:D

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
thats sounds okay.. the text of own choosing try to integrated to where its LINK to the sb.. in the essay like
you write sumfing and under it you write the related.. so it makes sense
like barry fife character then talk abotu a certain text with the portrayal or power etc...

the characters... sumwhere after intro.. or integrating in how you talk about the scenes (when they appeared)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)