English Scaling (1 Viewer)

monkey187

God
HSC
Whats up with the new scaling where advanced english has equal scaling 2 standard???

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
This has always been the case - people just haven't realised it.

The two courses are scaled in exactly the same way.

monkey187

God
HSC
then what is the point of doing adv english?!?!?!?

and last year on this site it said that standard english was like 18.sumtn and adv was like 26 or sumtin around that

was that just a mistake?

Rahul

Dead Member
but the difference is that less people acheive band 5/6 marks in standard....or more correctly, more people acheive band 5/6 in adv than standard...hence more people get better scaled marks in adv than std

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
They are scaled on a common scale, and then they are separated to reveal the scaled mean. Standard English students just happen to score lower.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by monkey187
and last year on this site it said that standard english was like 18.sumtn and adv was like 26 or sumtin around that

was that just a mistake?
It was not a mistake. As Ragerunner said, the statistics for the two courses were reported separately even though they were scaled the same. The page you're referring to included this qualifier at the top - "Note: English (Standard) and English (Advanced) are always scaled in the same way, despite any apparent statistics to the contrary."

Originally posted by monkey187
then what is the point of doing adv english?!?!?!?
Good students are likely to have their achievement lifted by the level of conceptualisation required in the Advanced course and the level of discussion that occurs in Advanced classrooms.

There is more value in studying a higher-level course than the advantage a student might gain in UAI terms.

Originally posted by Rahul
but the difference is that less people acheive band 5/6 marks in standard....or more correctly, more people acheive band 5/6 in adv than standard...hence more people get better scaled marks in adv than std
That's not true, the number of students achieving in the top bands has no affect on scaled marks or UAIs. The difference in scaled means reflects an overall difference in the quality of the candidatures - which is evident both before and after scaling.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
true Laz

i did eng std ( 85 HSC mark) and got 94.65....i tried SAM with eng adv but my uai wud have been lower with 85 in advanced!

thus i believe 85 in std is better than 85 in adv as its what percentile of the state u are in that matters eg its better to be in top 1% of state in std than being in top 25% or sthg in adv....correct me if im wrong.

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by lil_star
its what percentile of the state u are in that matters eg its better to be in top 1% of state in std than being in top 25% or sthg in adv....correct me if im wrong.
This is generally the case, yes. It may not always be so.

Originally posted by = Jennifer =
if you do extension would this bring up your advanced mark as well?
No extra scaling is applied to your Advanced mark if you take the Extension 1 course. However, taking that extra course may encourage you to think and work at a higher level, thereby improving the mark that you would have obtained in Advanced anyway.

Leanne

HSC
after using sam..i found it weird that most of my marks that went towards my uai was from english advanced...and i only got 84 which wasnt my highest.....i got 87 in art and 45 and 48 for ext eng 1 and 2......

i didnt realise that english got scaled that much!

santaslayer

HSC
1. u have 4 UNITS of english (the majority of sub units for ur combined hsc subjects)!!!
2. 87 in art is good but remember scaling wise

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
did any standard peoples get band 6 this year?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)