English paper 2 trials (1 Viewer)

princess112

HSC
Any advice for paper 2 from those of us who have done their trials the indepndant papers we've been doing for other subjects haven't been too good so im kind of worried about english especially Hamlet (MODULE B)

jniranjan

HSC
Yea, Hamlet is killing me. I'll be honest, sometimes I read it, and ill have no idea what the character is saying. Anyone care to share tips? (Or notes???? :p???) Lol

erob

HSC
Uni Grad
My English marks were so inconsistent. I got 10, 9 and 7 in belonging, and then 20, 14 and 12 in Paper 2 (I do Advanced and find Wag the Dog kind of hard to write about).

AnnetteMelissa

HSC
Yea, Hamlet is killing me. I'll be honest, sometimes I read it, and ill have no idea what the character is saying. Anyone care to share tips? (Or notes???? :p???) Lol
No Fear Shakespeare have a range of Shakespearean texts, including Hamlet, in which the original text is on one page and on the other page it is in plain English. It is quite helpful as a reference, however when you are writing your essay be sure to use quotes that are from the original text, not the modern day text. Having said that, it is helpful to actually know what the characters are saying/intending when you are writing an essay. The book can be brought at most book stores probably, but it is also available on the internet: http://nfs.sparknotes.com/hamlet/
Also, the text of Hamlet that I use is The New Cambridge Shakespeare edition edited by Philip Edwards, which also has a lot of referencing in terms of phrases that may be hard to interpret.
Finally, if you haven't already, it may be helpful to watch one of the many film/stage productions of Hamlet, e.g. The Branagh version. While you may make reference to these other productions in regards to how they have influenced your understanding, your most detailed references must be to the play itself, as outlined in the Board of Studies Syllabus support document:

"Since deep knowledge and understanding of the prescribed text is the primary aim of
Module B, it must also be the primary focus in the planning and delivery of the teaching and learning program. Misplaced emphasis may lead students to rely on the
views of others, rather than developing their own informed view. Exploring the
perspectives of others and discussion and evaluation of how the prescribed text has
been received in different contexts should enhance rather than overshadow a student’s personal engagement with and close analysis of the prescribed text. The view students develop must continue to be supported with detailed textual reference from the prescribed text."

The reason I mentioned watching other productions though, was that you may find it helpful (as I did) to further your knowledge of what the characters are saying, e.g. The emotion/stance/facial expression with which a character delivers a line may allow you to decipher what the character is trying to say, as opposed to merely reading it and missing the intent behind the line.

I really hope this helps you (and doesn't confuse you further)! I'm sorry it turned into practically essay itself, but hopefully you may find something helpful in it!

All the best, and God Bless!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)