English Paper 1/2 (1 Viewer)

ns23q

HSC
Is anyone using any literary critics/ theorists in their essays? I hear they only teach this stuff at selective schools?

hsclover

HSC
N/A
Hey :) We were taught literary theorists at Abbotsleigh. However, the Head English Teacher said that it was NOT necessary to get full marks :)

HSC
Is anyone using any literary critics/ theorists in their essays? I hear they only teach this stuff at selective schools?
That is untrue

Personally I had 2 critics for Module B however I cut them out due to time/word limit.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I assume this is for Module B.

Incorporating critics to support your argument can show your 'informed understanding'.

Zoeeann

HSC
Do you HAVE to add in critics for the critical study? Im doing Hamlet and it so hard to find one critics view that is very general and can fit in with all of the previous past papers questions :(

ns23q

HSC
No not just for module B - for all modules/ AOS

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Do you HAVE to add in critics for the critical study? Im doing Hamlet and it so hard to find one critics view that is very general and can fit in with all of the previous past papers questions :(
Jan Kott may be worth a read if you're after a critic. But at this stage in the game, I wouldn't worry.

Critics used to be a more prominent part of the course, but it's fallen out of favour. If you haven't already got them, it's not worth your time.

hsclover

HSC
N/A

You really don't! And while you may think it shows an "informed" understanding (which it can to a certain extent), Module B is more about "your" understanding and interpretation :)

hsclover

HSC
N/A
Jan Kott may be worth a read if you're after a critic. But at this stage in the game, I wouldn't worry.

Critics used to be a more prominent part of the course, but it's fallen out of favour. If you haven't already got them, it's not worth your time.
This.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
I did have an Axel Kruse quote for Module C, knowing the HoD of English at my school is in love with him, but I was told later on in the feedback from my trial that it didn't need to be used

Web Addict

HSC
Does anyone know where to find critics for Speeches? I've only got one or two, which aren't really that useful.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
I don't even have any hahaha

Makematics

HSC
Critics served me well for mod B in the trials, so im preparing them for hsc :)

Frostbitten

HSC
How significant are they in Mod B (for me Hamlet)? Do you guys think a question would ever be focused around the part of the syllabus that talks about others interpretations?

Examine

same
HSC
How significant are they in Mod B (for me Hamlet)? Do you guys think a question would ever be focused around the part of the syllabus that talks about others interpretations?
I doubt it (correct me if I'm wrong but isn't mod b based on providing your own judgement/interpretation?)

liuque

HSC
Apparently last year's maker's report stated it was 'not necessary'
So I think they don't like it..
they want YOUR PERSONAL understanding for mod B, not the critics..

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I doubt it (correct me if I'm wrong but isn't mod b based on providing your own judgement/interpretation?)
You're absolutely correct! Critics aren't necessary to get a good mark at all, but they're always nice to supplement your argument if you feel they might have a useful quote or two to back it up.

For Hamlet, if you are interested, have a quick google of A. C. Bradley, S. T. Coleridge, Goethe, and T. S. Eliot's views on the play. I found them to be the most illuminating in my study of Hamlet, and I think I referenced 2 or 3 in my essay.

gee-dee-enn95

HSC
I'm not at a selective school but we did critics for Hamlet. While they aren't necessary to get into the top band, to paraphrase my teacher, "They can be the icing on the cake if you're already up there". Having said that, you can still easily get a 20/20 without critics.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not at a selective school but we did critics for Hamlet. While they aren't necessary to get into the top band, to paraphrase my teacher, "They can be the icing on the cake if you're already up there". Having said that, you can still easily get a 20/20 without critics.
I don't think you should associate 'easy' with 20/20.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)