English is stupid (1 Viewer)

Maryanayeah

HSC
Teachers always place an emphasis on "do subjects you like and are good at", however we're forced to learn English. Tbh, I'm not exactly mad that it's a compulsory topic... however, I just don't find it completely fair that it HAS to be counted within your top 10 units. That's just a large disadvantage to those who aren't good at doing English imo. I really wouldn't mind if they changed it to 12 compulsory units and we had to do english but its only your TRUE top 10 units that count. What would be nice is if we learnt comprehension or something that helps increase our vocabulary.
And yeah okay, it wasn't exactly the correct term to call them 'dumb', however they're the type of kids that throw an essay together the day before an exam (I know a few) and receive marks of 16/20 for an essay, whereas I take 2-3 weeks of continual editing and sending it to my teacher to receive a semi-decent mark of 13/20.
In English, they stress that 'clarity' is important... however, I can write a line extremely clear and simple, and my teacher would bombard it with higher order language crap which then means that I don't understand the essay at all. She also told us that to access the higher marks we need to use higher order language, and for me... I don't even know where people learn these words. I've also read some of essays in my school that receive 18/20's and 17/20's and oh my goodness... I don't understand a thing.
I have developed strong analytical skills from my subjects, particularly from economics... which helps me access nearly full marks for my short answer questions in most of my subjects. I'd rather have a bunch of stats, figures and evidence to support my arguments that seem logical to me rather than base it on 'techniques' and what I can gather from a very vague statement. I guess in most cases (not all), people are either maths or english lovers.

agree 100%

HSC
Uni Grad
strong bumping

Anyway, English itself ain't stupid, just HSC English that's shitty because the standards from year 7-10 jump all the way to the middle of nowhere. What I hate the most is the 40 minute essay limit, which pretty much coerces students to gain high marks and 1K word essays by memorizing essays and adapting it to the question, which really isn't what the subject is aiming for students to do. Making us use techniques in everything is shit, because true uni English essays will NEVER use that, and would focus more on the analysis + context instead.

English in uni is a lot better, although you would need to analyze like you would in HSC English (in exams, you are not as pressed for time though).

matsing

HSC
the more essay u memorize for each essay the higher your mark will be... garunteed

matsing

HSC
English prepares you for Uni , wait till you get those 3000 word essays ....
dont we already do 3000 words in english? what kind of school did u go to?

+ non of my uni subjects require essays!!

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Tbh I'd say English would be an excellent subject if taught properly. It's just that to gain access to higher marks, it's so much easier to use other people's notes, memorise essays and do other unethical things or things that ensure high marks but barely anything learnt.

And in the end, HSC is simply a pathway to higher education, so no one's going to forsake the ability to get high marks just to "learn" something and draw valuable knowledge from a subject.

Sunners

HSC
Uni Grad
Sitting here in english and im about to shoot myself in the head. English is without doubt the biggest fuckery to have ever been created straight out of Satan's arsehole.

If I was Prime Minister or some fuckhead with some power, I would get rid of this fucked up subject or make it better. Fuck sakes this teacher just rabbits on about fucken trash and I gotta sit here and cop this shit. Fuck off please. Can't wait to finish this dumb fucking subject.

Discuss.
A typical 50-60 year old female bookworm that designed the English syllabus sees this. Laughs. 'These kids may be good at maths, science and social sciences but it doesn't matter, if they can't do 'belonging' they don't deserve a chance to do well in life'. Laughs even harder.

At a bare minimum that could make it like every other subject whereby if it isn't your best 10 units it doesn't count.

2xL

HSC
A typical 50-60 year old female bookworm that designed the English syllabus sees this. Laughs. 'These kids may be good at maths, science and social sciences but it doesn't matter, if they can't do 'belonging' they don't deserve a chance to do well in life'. Laughs even harder.

At a bare minimum that could make it like every other subject whereby if it isn't your best 10 units it doesn't count.
I must say that was some pretty strong rage back then, pretty proud of what I got in English in the end LOL

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I must say that was some pretty strong rage back then, pretty proud of what I got in English in the end LOL
I absolutely hated the subject but to my dismay it was my best. I'm quite happy with the end results - if they were shit after the entire years worth of work and effort invested in something I loathed with all of the fury in the world I would've flipped my shit.

And regarding the arguments in the thread, I do agree with it being one of the more useful subjects, although this use comes indirectly from studying it. Learning how people experience Belonging may not help. Learning why Hamlet chose to do the things he did may not help. Learning the differences between Frankenstein and Blade Runner may not help. But I think the development of your language use and vocabulary is by far the most invaluable skill you could possibly learn in all of high school. For someone like me who aims to be in Corporate Law career wise, I must say that the skills I have learnt in English will most definitely assist me everywhere else. I even got 96 exam mark for Legal Studies and I attribute that in some part to my writing ability.

Someone said that being good at English can only help you *sound good*. While this is true, sounding good and being fluent in your use of language is highly appropriate for displaying sophistication and henceforth, intelligence. Even if it is pseudo-intelligence, you at least look the part. I'm willing to bet a good part of psychology is based around the way you say your sentences. Switch the "Tell me" to a "Would you mind elaborating for me" and you've put the power and control in the other person's hand rather than sounding like a direct and demanding brat. Of course content is important. Even with excellent language use, a content-less argument is a weak one. But for someone like me (hopefully going into law) whose career is very much based around language use, English obviously takes the crown of "most important subject." The problem with economics, legal studies, and other social studies is that they are constantly changing. Language use does not, or at least, changes relatively slower.

HSC
What is some general advice to make your essays better? I do advanced english and for my first assesment i did crap (60%) my teacher said i didnt answer the question but my content was good (tehniques, analysis ) but i thought i answered the question :( When you answer the question in your introduction how do u refer back to the question and where do you do that throughout the essay?
im scared

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
What is some general advice to make your essays better? I do advanced english and for my first assesment i did crap (60%) my teacher said i didnt answer the question but my content was good (tehniques, analysis ) but i thought i answered the question :( When you answer the question in your introduction how do u refer back to the question and where do you do that throughout the essay?
im scared
This:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=257183

Salayman

HSC
This was very interesting to read LOL
Mr 2xL :D

Kandahar, Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
HSC
Uni Grad
Well to be honest, I don't actually hate the English language, English literature or the actual subject itself. What I'd call the 'greatest fuckery to come out of Satan's asshole' are the English exams. It's all rote learning and it kills the point of the subject. The way the exams are designed is little more than a joke to me.

Tell me, why should the intelligence of someone be measured using luck, rote learning and the ability to write in a mere 40 minutes?

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Well to be honest, I don't actually hate the English language, English literature or the actual subject itself. What I'd call the 'greatest fuckery to come out of Satan's asshole' are the English exams. It's all rote learning and it kills the point of the subject. The way the exams are designed is little more than a joke to me.

Tell me, why should the intelligence of someone be measured using luck, rote learning and the ability to write in a mere 40 minutes?
Because it's the HSC and life isn't fair...

iBibah

HSC

At least it gives opportunity to those who aren't naturals at the subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)