English is killing me (1 Viewer)

lightingbolt

HSC
N/A
Hey Guys

I am doing English Advanced and I have already covered four Assignment tasks worth 15% each, which I got around 50% for each. I ranked 40/50 from the half-yearly report.

I am so worried and stuck and completely lost hope, I don't know what to do, I only have one assignment and Trials left all worth 45%.

Seriously My English teachers teachers mark fucken hard. WHat should I really do, improve my marks in the next assignment and trials.

I have worked really really hard for all the assignments but still I get low marks.

I just hate English from now because of my English teachers, Is there still anyway I could just get a band 6 in English if I have 45% remaining.

Please, if your want to see my essays, and tell my what is it that brings my marks down, I would be very happy as this my solve my problem. I really want to get into medicine but only English seems to bring my Atar down. For my other subjects I get 80%+ all the time.

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Did your teachers provide you any feedback?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
First thing you have to do is identify what the area bringing your marks down is, is it structure? Is it lack of textual support throughout the essays? Do you struggle with timing in exams?

Identify one area to improve on first, and then work on the next etc. and build your way up gradually, don't put the stress on yourself to immediately go from a 50% essay to a 90%.

Did you get feedback from the markers in each case? Did they have similar suggestions every time or differing?

BigBadBader

HSC
English is killing most of us, but we have to carry on and work on it.
my problem was slow writing, i kept on practice and saw a dramatic improvement

HSC
I don't see how the teachers marking harshly effects you? It would be consistent across the board so that's not an excuse at all. Ask your teachers for feedback and just keep submitting practice essays, that is the best way to improve your marks, particuarly for trials.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't see how the teachers marking harshly effects you? It would be consistent across the board so that's not an excuse at all. Ask your teachers for feedback and just keep submitting practice essays, that is the best way to improve your marks, particuarly for trials.
Sometimes they are not consistent - bias. Hope to God that doesn't happen to me in the marking of the speech that I just did, or any subsequent tasks. It is not like it's unheard of, its definitely in existence.

Streetboy

HSC
N/A
Lol, when you look at my work, you will no that they are being unfair to me right from the start of the year till now. What should I do, I know that if they remark it I could be on a state rank probably and rank first in English in my school. All the time when I hand in my essay, I get similar marks like 9-10/15 or 10/20. This is what marks me suspicious the way they mark.

Let me tell you, I hand in all my essays even before I hand it in to get feedback and I even fix what the teacher says, but still get low marks. So what can I do, these stupid teachers I ruin my HSC. I really need help with this issue.

What can you say about this, now. Lol just because you never experienced such a problem, that doesn't not mean that teachers are being fair. To be honest with you, some teachers don't even read the marking criteria. just gives you low marks. Seriously this is an issue that not much students know about.

There is some of my friends who don't even do the essay properly when I ask them, they say I did it the night before. I am like " if you the did it the night before how on earth could you get 18-19/20- this girl in my class wasn't that smart and somehow got this mark, when I actually showed my tutor and the teacher marking the essays, and I still got low marks. The marking should be fair, you know how some teachers have different view marking the essay

Last edited:

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol, when you look at my work, you will no that they are being unfair to me right from the start of the year till now. What should I do, if they remark it I could be on a state rank probably and rank first in English in my school. All the time when I hand in my essay, I get similar marks like 9-10/15 or 10/20. This is what marks me suspicious the way they mark.

Let me tell you, I hand in all my essays even before I hand it in to get feedback and I even fix what the teacher says, but still get low marks. So what can I do, these stupid teachers I ruin my HSC. I really need help with this issue.

What can you say about this, now. Lol just because you never experienced such a problem, that doesn't not mean that teachers are being fair. To be honest with you, some teachers don't even read the marking criteria. just gives you low marks. Seriously this is an issue that not much students know about.
lol sorry
the way you word your sentences makes me laugh and I think of an arab guy talking about politics

HSC
I understand that it can be a problem. But I don't think it would be significant enough to take you from 40th to first. Doesn't your school use one teacher to mark each assessment to help eliminate that problem.

If you are seriously concerned about this, take your essays to another teacher to be remarked. I doubt that they're just singling out you. It's highly unprofessional.

Streetboy

HSC
N/A
I understand that it can be a problem. But I don't think it would be significant enough to take you from 40th to first. Doesn't your school use one teacher to mark each assessment to help eliminate that problem.

If you are seriously concerned about this, take your essays to another teacher to be remarked. I doubt that they're just singling out you. It's highly unprofessional.
lol. could you please be kind enough to mark my essay and edit for me. Thanks

Is it still to get a band six for English when i have 45% remaining and 50% HSC.

Last edited:
HSC
If you want. What topics are they though? Maybe find someone else to do it too?

It's still possible. You need to get very high marks though and smash externals. Just keep on practising.

Streetboy

HSC
N/A
If you want. What topics are they though? Maybe find someone else to do it too?

It's still possible. You need to get very high marks though and smash externals. Just keep on practising.
Belonging: Romulus my father
Frankenstein/BR
Julius Ceasar

Thanks lol, give me your email, I will send them to you today. Could I get it back today. I will send the essay question with the essays

Last edited:

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
It doesn't really matter how hard age marks given you are ranked 40 of 50.

HSC
I can only do BR/Fraankenstein sorry.

I could read the others and look at grammar/structure but I can't help with your content. I don't think I'd be able to get it back to you today sorry.

Streetboy

HSC
N/A
I can only do BR/Fraankenstein sorry.

I could read the others and look at grammar/structure but I can't help with your content. I don't think I'd be able to get it back to you today sorry.
Look at the expression and grammar/structure, because I think this is what brings me down. when could I get them back then.

Thanks a lot,

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)