english ext 1... critical, creative or both? (1 Viewer)

HSC
idk if this is the right thread but could one of you look at my essay for worlds of upheaval and tell me the best way to cut down its 1750 words which is way too much or point me in the right direction of what thread to look at. You don't need to give me any feedback (although if you did that would be most appreciated) just give me some advice on how to cut down!!
I'm not an expert or anything, but I think that since we will be answering an (at least somewhat) specific question, you could probably suffice by condensing your two paragraphs on both texts into one for each text on the day, by choosing the evidence from both that best answers the question. There's not really such a thing as a "too long" single paragraph for EE1 as long as you can write everything you need to within the time limit and relate each of your pieces of evidence to your thesis and thesis expansion, so this could be a good way to maintain sophistication while cutting down a bit. If there's an additional point you want to make about a singular text (which is I think why you have two paragraphs for each), it's not a crime to introduce a new idea or extrapolation in the middle of a paragraph alongside a piece of evidence, as long as you are continuing to link to a cohesive broader idea.

Overall, I think it's great that you have such a depth of reference to the rubric through the two paragraphs, but you can probably use this on the day in a more succinct and appropriate way through this kind of synthesis of the most important ideas from the given question.

Good luck, you've clearly put in a lot of effort so far : )

Rattlehead15

HSC
idk if this is the right thread but could one of you look at my essay for worlds of upheaval and tell me the best way to cut down its 1750 words which is way too much or point me in the right direction of what thread to look at. You don't need to give me any feedback (although if you did that would be most appreciated) just give me some advice on how to cut down!!
I just did the same thing as you today. I had a 1750 word essay and just finished cutting it down to 1400 words (took all afternoon...) Most of what I did was cutting out unneeded sentences. For example, where I would explain the context of a text (eg. Weimar Germany for Metropolis) I noticed I used two or three sentences, and instead condensed it down to one. Also obviously removing unneeded words. It's interesting that you have two paragraphs from each text, thats something Ive never done so i cant really give advice there. My structure is Para1: Frankenstein+Metropolis, Para2: Metropolis+Related Para3: Related+Frankenstein. So maybe if you can you could merge the double paragraphs in to one paragraph for each text like @FortniteGaming said. Or even split it into two different essays if the formatting is causing the excess word count. But most importantly just remove words or sentences that you don't need, keep the ones that are essential. If you keep shaving it down you'll eventually get there.

cheesestick

HSC
If you do just make sure you add to it and expand it since the english extension section I is 1 hour of writing time while the advanced Mod C is only 40mins writing time. So there will be a more fleshed out creative expected from you due to +20mins writing time and Literary Worlds being a more complex syllabus than Craft of Writing although theyre similar.
how many pages or words is everyone aiming to write?

Iceyscreen

HSC
Hope alls going well! Does anyone else have bio the day before, if so how are you dividing your revision over this weekend?

HSC
Hope alls going well! Does anyone else have bio the day before, if so how are you dividing your revision over this weekend?
I have Bio on Monday and Business on Tuesday morning 😭
I've tried to just get English out of the way by doing some this morning, and focus on the other two now. Tomorrow I think I'll do the same thing, a bit of English in the morning and then devote the rest of the day to Bio and Business. How about you?

Rattlehead15

HSC
wait could u link me or send a screenshot where u found this?
specifics.PNG
I assume the last dot point means that the possibilities are:
- Full/split creative
- Full/split critical
- or creative with a critical component about your creative. The fact that that say critical or creative tells me that there is no mention of a first person reflective/discursive style response, unless you can use first person for a critical? But from what I can tell the first person reflective we know and love from advanced is likely not possible in the extension exam I suppose.

leanlover911

HSC
do you think I should prepare for 3 prescribed texts and 3 related? or is that too much? is it true that they can't ask for two related?

Rattlehead15

HSC
do you think I should prepare for 3 prescribed texts and 3 related? or is that too much? is it true that they can't ask for two related?
I would advise against preparing for 3 related. At most they will ask for 2 related, although its never been done before. So unless you have a bunch of different essays prepared that use your related texts in different ways, I would focus on refining your analysis of just 2 related. 3 prescribed sounds about right though.

howcanibesmarter

HSC
View attachment 40877
I assume the last dot point means that the possibilities are:
- Full/split creative
- Full/split critical
- or creative with a critical component about your creative. The fact that that say critical or creative tells me that there is no mention of a first person reflective/discursive style response, unless you can use first person for a critical? But from what I can tell the first person reflective we know and love from advanced is likely not possible in the extension exam I suppose.
cus our teacher told us reflection is assessable lol, plus its appeared in the sample paper so its definintely possible

ahhhhro

HSC
Mindscapes for the winnn, I only got told that I need one related prepped for the exam so hopefully it will be okay
Yayyy another mindscapes person! Which prescribed texts do you do? I've got 2 related prepped but 1 of them is a bit dodgy so fingers crossed they don't ask for both. Surely not??

unhealthyharold

HSC
Yayyy another mindscapes person! Which prescribed texts do you do? I've got 2 related prepped but 1 of them is a bit dodgy so fingers crossed they don't ask for both. Surely not??
mindscapes >>>
i'm in the same boat lol 1 of my related texts is... not great but the other one is good, so im just hoping they'll only ask for one 😭

Iceyscreen

HSC
Yeahh I hope so! For prescribed we covered Hamlet, Katherine Mansfield short stories and the Lost in translation movie, they were all pretty nice! Which texts did you do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)