English Area of Study to be dropped (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.smh.com.au/national/educ...lar-component-of-the-hsc-20151019-gkcvvp.html

The journey for the HSC English area of study is over.

The NSW Board of Studies has proposed scrapping a long-standing elements of the HSC, briefing documents released this week have revealed.

Each year up to 70,000 students have had to write about texts in the area of study through abstract themes such as "journeys", "belonging" or "discovery".

The module required students to interpret texts including Ang Lee's film Life of Pi or Shakespeare's The Tempest through the lens of one of these concepts, which would also guide students through their creative writing responses.

For more than a decade teachers moulded texts to suit the area of study, dominating the teaching of English throughout the HSC year.

It is understood that consistently negative feedback on the module from parents, students and teachers has forced the hand of the board.
[...]

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
My least favourite part of English was the Area of Study... Glad to see its going :)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
In the article, someone is quoted as saying

''You might be getting breadth but your not getting depth.''

Should have been spelt "you're".

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Flop21

HSC
BOSTES are so bloody dumb. Seriously, this is what they think is wrong with HSC english?????? AOS is the easiest and IMO best part of HSC english. It actually has variety and makes you do more than rote learn essays. I love unseen texts. Creative is a bit different as well (still rote learned but w.e). And I didn't mind the AOS essay because it was easy.

So glad I never have to do this horrid subject again, but I feel sorry for every student younger than me. Why aren't they focusing on bringing in different ways to TEST students on their english studies, instead of asking them to pump out 3 essays in 40 minutes each.

Are they confusing parents/people complaining about english as a whole? Because I know personally a lot of parents are surprised when they hear paper 2 test is 3 essays. It's so dumb and obvious why probably a lot of the state cheat.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
BOSTES are so bloody dumb. Seriously, this is what they think is wrong with HSC english?????? AOS is the easiest and IMO best part of HSC english. It actually has variety and makes you do more than rote learn essays. I love unseen texts. Creative is a bit different as well (still rote learned but w.e). And I didn't mind the AOS essay because it was easy.

So glad I never have to do this horrid subject again, but I feel sorry for every student younger than me. Why aren't they focusing on bringing in different ways to TEST students on their english studies, instead of asking them to pump out 3 essays in 40 minutes each.

Are they confusing parents/people complaining about english as a whole? Because I know personally a lot of parents are surprised when they hear paper 2 test is 3 essays. It's so dumb and obvious why probably a lot of the state cheat.
The article's title says AOS is the ''most unpopular component of the HSC''.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
I think they should introduce a component which examines letter writing.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
What is everyone least favourite/ favourite part of HSC English? Is it actually the Area of Study?

MathsN00b

HSC
I actually liked the Area of Study, but I hated the other English components because I found them useless :/

swagmeister

HSC

couldn't agree more

while I did enjoy some modules, overall AOS was pretty good (par the essay section, having done all the modules before we jumped into AOS I was not that keen for it haha)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
English needs an update. Im thinking mathematics based or economics based course "Mathenomicsh"
That doesn't have anything to do with English though. That'd be an update to HSC Economics, not to HSC English.

sy37

HSC
BOSTES are a bunch of clueless fucks

the fact that English is the compulsory subject in a STEM dominated society says absolutely enough.

mkristie

HSC
I was looking at the proposed changes to the course and it really seems useless. I'm not a big fan of AOS (mainly bc of creative and unseen) but I don't see the need to get rid of it. Pointless move by BOSTES, really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)