english (advanced) (1 Viewer)

Jianna

i really suck at english and have got this essay due .. jus wondering if anyone could help .. ?

“Poets (and their personas) cannot be separated from the time in which they work”

does anyone have any ideas on what i could write about?

i've chosen to agree with it .. and im plannin to talk about ..
1. the poets work is affected by the time time in which they are composed .. (cultural, social, personal infleunces of the time period)
2. poets wouldn't be able to write such emotive work becuase they write about themes that are relevant to them and the society in which they live
3. direct reference to Robert Browning who wrote Porphyria's Lover in Vitorian times which was about Victorian society in England, and the themes, such as, class division does not apply today, therefore a poem as such could not be written.

yep.. so those are the few points im gonna expand on in my essay .. and yeh after that sorta went blank .. so if anyone has got any suggestions .. PLEASE HELP! :D

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
context you cant take stuff poets whatever out of the context in which they were written and still expect them to be correct and have the same meaning

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
basicalli here is the general idea:

we are all a product of our paradigm ie: our social norms, epistem, ideologies are all shaped by the society we live in.. in a sense, our society shape our thinking.... hence poets, just like ani other human being is shaped by his/her paradigm.

lets take 2 paradigms for example... the neoclassical and the romantic.

The Neoclassic period built a new society that rejected the ideologies and values of the Renaissance. The explorative, venturesome and carefree values were replaced by facts, objectivity and stability. The Neoclassical society was contained, self-assured and everything was kept in moderation and under control. They archetypal text would be Pope's mock heroic The Rape of the Lock

However, in Romanticism, Coleridge, Wordsworth, Blake and esp the second generation of poets Byron, Keats and Shelley rebel the conventions of the Neoclassical period. In this context, everythign is abt the sbujective imagination, and namely nature manifests societys belief in creativity and passion. Individualism was strongly emphasised and so was authenticity in writing and expression of originality, opposing to the conventions of the Neoclassical period.

to put it simply, for example, all of us want to be individuals these days. We are shaped by a society that no longer believes in mass manufacturing and endorses individual creativity and authenticity.

HSC
How come i didnt get kickass questions like that in yr 11? No, i was stuck doing R+J *pokepoke*

Your frame is good, but you need some evidence as arguing points. Although i can't agree on you disagreeing with the statement. So in case you feel like changing your mind, suggestions:

Pushkin - direct evidence that it's poets (in particular) that are not separated, as opposed to writers.
Born into times of russian upheval and revolution.
While all his contemporary story writers (Tolstoy, Checkov, Solshenitzyn etc etc) were writing epic novels reflecting the social condition... Pushkin was off in the clouds writing fairy tales and the like (Eugene Onegin)

Milton, late 17th Century, didn't give a crap about the clash and struggle between the European powers, he wrote a legendary epic about the first chapter of the Bible - Paradise Lost (1667).

You could talk about how the NATURE of poetry (compression of ideas within language, language forms, imagery creates a universality due to the way it can be interpreted)
e.g. Shakespeare's sonnets are UNIVERSAL (yes, it's that word again)

Gluck with your essay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)