English Advanced (1 Viewer)

Ballinnn

HSC
My hate for English advanced is everlasting. I just got my report back and came second last in the grade fro prelims:\ . Anyone know any ways which i could improve it cause apparently my expression its terrible.... Also i have to see my teacher tomorrow about moving down so if you guys have anything to say in order for me to stay up in advanced i would appreciate it!

CaffeineMotor

HSC
First of all...Where did you go wrong? Is there anything you didn't understand and what caused you to struggle the most?

Was it a result of lack of study or...?

madharris

HSC
N/A
Don't move to standard!
I would recommend a tutor to help you go over all your flaws and improve your writing

also for english you need to do as many practice papers as possible if you want to get good at it. especially for the comprehension

harrietty

HSC
If what you're doing wrong is doing your assignments 'bad', maybe it is your writing style or something.. like, how you write essays and the structure etc. You could buy books on essay writing/creative writing and stuff...

And maybe you should take some extra effort if you're not already and go over your texts/notes/anything from class and summarise, and practice writing essays etc. if you want to do well. :)

Other than that, I don't know if they can force you to go down.. but if they can, that's unlucky :/

scenario

HSC
I agree don't move down. They can't force you to, they can only recommend.

I suggest more reading and practice.

Ballinnn

HSC
Well the texts themselves and ideas are very easy to understand and I can come up with really good ideas.apparently my sentences are simplistic and i can't develop an idea well.... Any suggestions? Thanks so far

Capt Rifle

HSC
I hate it also.... But you have to love it as it is board of studies favourite subject lol

such_such

HSC
You should get your teachers to see a sample of your work. They should tear it apart and provide better methods of presenting your ideas.

But I recommend getting privately tutored!

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
It sounds like you're bad at sophisticated writing. This can be fixed by doing the following:

- Read a lot of high-quality critical writing (literary theory is great for this but often boring. Maybe start with Roger Ebert's film reviews?)
- Read past student essays
- Try to emulate these styles in your own writing

Eduard_Khil

CASIO fx-82ES PLUS
HSC
N/A
It sounds like you're bad at sophisticated writing. This can be fixed by doing the following:

- Read a lot of high-quality critical writing (literary theory is great for this but often boring. Maybe start with Roger Ebert's film reviews?)
- Read past student essays
- Try to emulate these styles in your own writing
^agreed except for the first reason.
Anyway, don't move down to standard you'll get screwed over by the scaling. How bad are you doing exactly?
English is a subject based on understanding over memorising, (of course techniques and how they're used for an author to effectively convey his/her message often has to be memorised, you still have to understand how they're used in their respective texts and contexts) So it isn't just simply input formula or regurgitate information mate.
Pretty much if you can grasp the concepts, and convey them effectively to the reader, through use of appropriate words and structure you'll be able to do fine in english.
But yeah, don't drop down to standard, or Board of Studies will nerf down your atar marks like there's no tomorrow, especially if you go to a low ranking school. Might be even a better idea for the folks at your school to carry you.

HSC
Have you been using TEEL/STEEL/PEEL or whatever?

I also suggest you get a tutor, I can recommend a very good one, PM me if you're interested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)