English (Advanced) Raw Marks, State Ranks and Estimations (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
I get it now! That makes so much more sense, thanks! I heard people mentioning that they thought Emily Dickinson was a hard related text for the specific "place" belonging question? Does that mean, if perhaps, for example, this is considered harder to have answered the question, does this mean my mark could be aligned more?
Yeah your mark could be aligned more if you didn't do as well as you did. Ie if you got a 12 for your essay you could get moved up to 13.5 (not sure technically but as long as you get the general picture), but those who did skrzynecki and got 12 may only get moved up to 12.5

Neologism

HSC
Well, if she is a HSC marker, then that would make the mark much more "accurate". So I guess a state ranking is possible going off your trial mark.
Fingers crossed, but I'm definitely not going to expect it; no way! Yeah, she is only doing extension two marking this year, but in previous years she has done advanced and extension one. She's not one of those teachers who just tell you 'It's good, you're done", there is always more feedback and she'll tell you straight out if it is crap. Thanks for your help :)

Yeah your mark could be aligned more if you didn't do as well as you did. Ie if you got a 12 for your essay you could get moved up to 13.5 (not sure technically but as long as you get the general picture), but those who did skrzynecki and got 12 may only get moved up to 12.5
Ah, I see. I get the general picture, thanks! :) I actually thought it was fine for Emily Dickinson... but apparently I'm the only one :/

Last edited:

acemusic415

HSC
The thing is I got 102/105 for my trials as well and the gap from 1st to 2nd was 15 marks. Having said that, I know I wont get a state rank with the assumption that my school marked easy with a pretty generous paper. It's hard to determine for the humanities and the fact that you don't go to a top school makes it even more difficult to determine the subjectivity surrounding your marks (i.e whether they mark easy, the strengths of other people's essays, intrinsic bias from teachers etc).

Neologism

HSC
The thing is I got 102/105 for my trials as well and the gap from 1st to 2nd was 15 marks. Having said that, I know I wont get a state rank with the assumption that my school marked easy with a pretty generous paper. It's hard to determine for the humanities and the fact that you don't go to a top school makes it even more difficult to determine the subjectivity surrounding your marks (i.e whether they mark easy, the strengths of other people's essays, intrinsic bias from teachers etc).
Mmm, I understand what you mean :) congrats on the 102/105 btw, even if it was marked easy, stiill a great job. We actually had a hard trial, both papers were actually. For the HSC papers my idea s and essays suited perfectly, where as in the trial my ideas I had to completely change many things because the questions were more challenging, as were the reading task texts. Yeah, I don't go to a top school... in the 400s, that's pretty bad right? How does the school ranking determine anything?

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
last year a 98'er got 101/104 raw but idk about specific text aligning

14th ranker last year got 97, but again, idk how the raws aligned for her

acemusic415

HSC
Mmm, I understand what you mean :) congrats on the 102/105 btw, even if it was marked easy, stiill a great job. We actually had a hard trial, both papers were actually. For the HSC papers my idea s and essays suited perfectly, where as in the trial my ideas I had to completely change many things because the questions were more challenging, as were the reading task texts. Yeah, I don't go to a top school... in the 400s, that's pretty bad right? How does the school ranking determine anything?
Well your school ranking has no bearing on your actual marks. The main reason that it's difficult to actually determine whether you'll get a state rank is because your cohort may be weak in English whereas there are students from James Ruse, Baulko who excel in English and may be on par with you, if not better. That said, that is not to undermine your excellent result - congrats btw. I know at my school, my cohort is generally weak at English, so when they see one student who is excelling above the rest, they're inclined to give a 20/20 instead of a 19/20. In contrast, for example those at Baulko or Sydney Boys - for the majority, they're solid in English so it's not unusual to hand out 18+ etc. This is what I mean by the subjectivity surrounding your mark including intrinsic bias from teachers. In recognising so, it can't be prevented and this is sole purpose of the moderation process and your external mark will reflect how good you're responses are in comparison to the rest of the state. So all in all, you'll have to wait and see.

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
Also the rumor has it that
for module A : pride and Prejudice /LTA , for module B: Hamlet align the best
and also if you aiming for 1st --> it is probably 103/105 +

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
97/100 or 97/105?
97 reported mark

I was comparing to the 98'er and attempting to suggest that she may have gotten a lower raw mark, but I wouldn't know because texts align differently. She did do p&p/lta + hamlet though :p

khfreakau

HSC
guy from my school last year state ranked 4th - he was first internally, he got 104/105 in his trial. he didn't have one related prepared for belonging so that's probs what made it more difficult for him to come first. he got 98 as his overall mark though.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
ooo really! haha I've never known someone from any other school who's done the same as me... congrats on being the first person I've found :D I'm glad I did those texts, though some other do seem interesting too.
I did those exact texts too, and Emily Dickinson for AOS!

Glorious

HSC
Hmm. Wondering if Great Expectations aligns well? For AOS?

Kimbles2011

HSC
So Austen/Weldon and Hamlet align well. What about Levertov Poetry for history and memory?

eyeswideshut

HSC
does harwood scale well? i didn't know that there is different scaling for different texts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)