english advanced or standard? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Now i don't know which english i should choose. The advanced one scales high but i know that there's too much work while standard english scales too low but it has less pressure in work and since this year I mostly got B's (unlike last year with A's), standard might be easier. I still like advanced, but I don't want to get low marks in the course. Can you give me more advice to choose which one?

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
They're scaled equally, according to laz and the UAC. It's just that the average of the standard candidates suck more compared to advanced.

Anyways, being in a smart class usually give you more imperative to do better. It's like putting an ice cube in a hot water jug.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
i reckon u shud try advanced and then change over 2 standard if u aren't satisfied!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
my teacher is the head teacher english at my school and a senior HSC marker and she told us (i do advanced) that (and i dont know if its true or not) that standard kids arnt taught something or other that they need to be able to do to get band 5 or above, and apparently last year about 5 kids in the state got 80+ in standard..but as i said, i dunno if its true or not, she mighta just been trying to get us to stay in advanced.
personally, i like advanced, but thats just me, i like the texts and the things we are taught..we will never use them again, but i just think it is a really good coarse.

edit: lol, im doing advanced and i cant even spell course

Last edited:

gemz

yeh our teachers have told us that it "impossible" for standard students to reach band 6 and they very rarely reach band 5

HSC
Thank you soo much for your advice! I have chosen English Advanced but I hope the classes aren't full. By da way, you're right gemz, I saw those stats on the BOS (forgot which one) and there's NO student getting a Band 6 mark for the standard course(sorry for those who do it).

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Okay, if you don't care about your UAI, go do Standard (unless you like Shakespeare :p). Otherwise, do Advanced (or ESL, if you can). :D

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
gemz, **freakstar87** - whilst that has been true in the past, it doesn't preclude the possibility of it happening in the future.

HSC
it can happen :) :) :)
it only depends if the student tries hard on the subject.
most of the people i know who were offered english advanced are doing standard next year and believe me they are very good in english even though we currently have a crappy teacher.
Believe me if you tried very hard in ALL types of subject, anything is possible! That's my recently new motto!
ESL...sweeeeeeet!

Elena

You should really choose what is right for you. Dont worry about scaling because it really depends on your school group. If you only do Advanced because you think it will look better and you do badly it'll work out worse for you and pull your school down. You dont want to stuff up your friends and you dont wana be struggling - Year 12 is hard enough!! Good Luck!!:cool:

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
i think u shud try advanced first n if u r unable to cope with it then u can drop 2 standard.....but try advanced first....neways it is up to u!!!

Benno

HSC
im doin standard and u guys can all watch me get a band 6 :D
lol i wish. i have a question.
last year in advance the average was 79 but in standard it was 69 (i think) any way wouldnt it be better to do standard and get a mark of 75 than do advance and get a mark of 70?
and in this case wouldnt a mark of 75 in standard be better than a mark of 75 in advance?

crazylilmonkee

HSC
hey i was originally a standard person in yr 11 but then i jumped up to advanced.. i dont regret it one bit.. i might do shit in exams but i do pretty well in the assessment tasks and the stuff's pretty similar anyway.. advanced is more interesting than standard in my opinion

leiara

in most cases, especially at my high school we got graded via our year ten certificate, i got 80 and was put in advanced and i really suck at it. so if u dont think u can do it then dont, i regret not changing at the start of the year cause im coming bottom of advanced!

leiara

Originally posted by leiara
in most cases, especially at my high school we got graded via our year ten certificate, i got 80 and was put in advanced and i really suck at it. so if u dont think u can do it then dont, i regret not changing at the start of the year cause im coming bottom of advanced!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Benno
im doin standard and u guys can all watch me get a band 6 :D
lol i wish. i have a question.
last year in advance the average was 79 but in standard it was 69 (i think) any way wouldnt it be better to do standard and get a mark of 75 than do advance and get a mark of 70?
and in this case wouldnt a mark of 75 in standard be better than a mark of 75 in advance?
no, coz a mark of 69 in adv does better than 75 in stnd. its like a 69 in adv eng is better than a 69 in geography.

Benno

HSC
k, but isnt the UAI based on the state average marks in a subject? or is it different in english? am i gonna get scalled down for doing standard? if so how much?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Both the standard and advanced streams are scaled in exactly the same way every year.

Benno

HSC
k i dont get it, just tell us a good mark to get so i can do ok

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)