English Adv Mod C Question (1 Viewer)

captainplanet17

HSC
N/A
Hi,
I'm doing Ted Hughe's poetry and one of his poems is called The Minotaur. He is referencing a Greek myth in the title also called The Minotaur.
In my essay, I know I have to underline the name of his peom THe Minotaur.

My question is do I have to underline the greek myth as well?

Eg:

" The Minotaur derives its name from a Greek myth, The Minotaur"

do i need to underline the bold?

Also when I'm, giving conflicting perspectives and reference a book by another person, do I have to underline it?

eg:

"Erica Wagner the author of The Story Of Birthday Letters, is of the conflicting perspective......"

Do i need to underline the bold?

Cheers.

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
You should make a reference to the Minotaur and its origin in Greek mythology but simply stating it won't get you anywhere. You should be making the comment that the poem is an allusion to the Greek myth of the minotaur and back the statement up with a sentence or two on how the allusion has shaped the textual integrity of the poem.

When it comes to other authors' works, it's essential that you have the name of the text underlined.

Last edited:

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
Hm, I had the names of poems in quotation marks. Either way, you shouldn't be bolding anything. The names of books etc. should be underlined. Also, yes, as MetalTheory said, you should explain the myth, and refer to it as, e.g. 'the myth of the Minotaur', as opposed to 'the myth, The Minotaur' (it's not like it's a fable from a chapter in a book or something, it's just a general myth).

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You could even just say "the name alludes to Greek legends" as long as you explain why the allusion is relevant.

captainplanet17

HSC
N/A
.... I'm not gonna bold it in the acutaly essay, and yes i do allude to it further this is just an example an extract from my essay. thanks for your help though. I have to allude to the legend, because I handed an essay in, in which I didn't and she said I should.

Thnx for ur help anywayz.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)