• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Engineering (2 Viewers)

Wyvern

HSC
So who is scared they might totally screw up what is supposed to be one of the hardest courses available at uni?

I am interested in Engineering but the difficulty of the course is scary, anyone else worried about even passing?

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
yeah man, one of my greatest fears is not passing - or failing.
i've never failed anything in my life (well, besides my L's test.. but anyway...)

and i dont think engineering is the 'hardest' course at uni - it depends on different people i guess - like it might b hard for those who arent really good at maths

know what i mean?

yeah, so r u doing engineering or just considering it?

Wyvern

HSC
yeah it probably isn't as hard to the maths oriented people but in general if you look at the failure rate/course content and compare it to something like Commerce, engineering is pretty tough

nah i am already enrolled and about to start engineering at USYD, never bothered to look at the forums until a few days ago all through the hsc lol

anyway what level maths did you do in school? I didn't do 4 unit so i am a bit worried :/

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
you can get through engineering at uni easily without 4 unit, you just may have to work slightly harder. i did 3u

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
yeah i'm only up to 3 unit math standard
and yeah the success rate for engineering at uni is really low, but yeah its a fact that engineers r the biggest party animals at uni - so thats probably why the drop out rate is different compared to other courses

just study study study and all should be fine.
also, what are engineering are you doing Wyvern?

Adam

HSC
Haha, I did 2u maths, I am pretty much fucked. The bridging course I don't think is helping that much, it just seems like revision...:p

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Well i don't think its that hard- if u put your mind to it, u can pass it easily i'm guessing...but yeah, engineering and science are one of the hardest courses that r available (i think actuaries is also very hard)...but however, u should know that engineering has got one of the biggest drop out rates i heard...and also in USYD, u can drop down to bachelor of science in the second year- if u find engineering too hard at first year. :)

Adam

HSC
Hey, look at it this way: More people drop out, less people to sift through to find friends, easier to get a higher ranking ;)

I wonder what the percentage is for the dropouts, I know I'm just going to tough it out just to show everyone who didn't belive I couldn't do it that indeed I can.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Adam
Hey, look at it this way: More people drop out, less people to sift through to find friends, easier to get a higher ranking ;)

I wonder what the percentage is for the dropouts, I know I'm just going to tough it out just to show everyone who didn't belive I couldn't do it that indeed I can.
yeah- true, but what i don't like is that ppl. don't think that engineering is hard- they just look at the low uai cut off's for engineering, and they think that the course must b easy or something. :D

Wyvern

HSC
I don't think anyone cares about your ranking in uni, although not to sure

Wyvern

HSC

Biggest drop out is in first year, somewhere between 30%-50% (depends what stream you are doing I guess)

Wyvern

HSC
Originally posted by tooheyz
but yeah its a fact that engineers r the biggest party animals at uni - so thats probably why the drop out rate is different compared to other courses

Really? Didn't think engineers partied that much, thought that was for Arts people ;)

just study study study and all should be fine.
also, what are engineering are you doing Wyvern?
True, wasn't really planning to have the hsc all over again over the next 4 years though so hopefully it doesn't require mega hours of studying.

I am doing E-commerce engineering

Wyvern

HSC
Originally posted by tooheyz
yeah i'm only up to 3 unit math standard
did you do 3 unit maths in high school and your doing a maths bridging course?
Are we required to do so? because the advisers told me I am fine when I was enrolling and said I only did 3 unit

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
Originally posted by Wyvern
Really? Didn't think engineers partied that much, thought that was for Arts people ;)

arts students have nothing on engineers:D engineers study hard and party harder :D:D

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Wyvern
I don't think anyone cares about your ranking in uni, although not to sure
woah dude- whats with the quadruple posts? :p

anyways, your ranking does count i think, thats how u get credit, distinction and high distinction and stuff. :D

Wyvern

HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
woah dude- whats with the quadruple posts? :p
My post count is to low lol, nah didnt realise how to multi quote until now

anyways, your ranking does count i think, thats how u get credit, distinction and high distinction and stuff. :D
Don't think so, from what I have been asking, if everyone does well then everyone can get high distinctions just as everyone can fail some particular subject

MoNNiE

HSC
engineering is hard i have to agree but it really depends on which strand of engineering you take...
apparently.. electrical engineering is the most difficult

on the subject of rankiings. yes they are important but they do not determine whether you get a credit, distiniction or high distinction..those merits are negotiated through the marks you recieive within assignments and examinations.. i can't remember the percentage you need to get to each one..

MoNNiE

HSC
like... if this is correct.. or partially..
high distinction requires like 90+
distinction 80+(maybe 75%)
credit 70+ ( maybe 60+ )
pass (whatever they say is a pass)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by MoNNiE
like... if this is correct.. or partially..
high distinction requires like 90+
distinction 80+(maybe 75%)
credit 70+ ( maybe 60+ )
pass (whatever they say is a pass)
nope i heard was that:

pass 50+
credit 60+
distinction 70+
high distinction 80+

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)