Engineering with Med sc? (1 Viewer)

Ekirra

HSC
Hi....I wanted to see if anyone was doing engineering with med sc. I put it as my first preference and decided to do it at USYD. Overall, I just wanted to know if anyone who was doing the course could give a lie down of the years ahead? Course structure, subjects you do? The people i talked to at the info day didn't really help me as much...maybe I was looking at the wrong place? Who knows...

I'm aiming to do postgrad med but in case that doesn't become an option, I played safe to combine Med Sc with engineering. So I wanted to know if the course prepares you well for GAMSAT like the Med Sc course at USYD seems to be?

NihaoMa

Banned
HSC
Medical science should prepare you well for the GAMSAT yes I was in your position but will be shortly commencing medicine this year.

Tim035

HSC
That must be a 5 or 6 year course combined, are you seriously going to do that then med! You'll be spending your entire 20s in universtiy, ouch....

Honestly the career prospects for med sci are actually pretty good, if the reason you're combining med sci with engineering is purely to secure a job if you don't get into med, I'd rethink that choice. Plus if you work really hard, achieving a GPA of 6 or higher in med sci is quite doable (which will stand you in good ground for getting a med interview), whereas unless you have really advanced problem solving and mathematical skills your GPA will probably take a nose dive from engineering courses.

Ekirra

HSC
Visit http://cusp.sydney.edu.au/students/view-degree-programs-page/did/742 then click on "expand all" and you will see several suggested course menus for BMedSc with different engineering streams.
Wow that really helped :D Thank you !!

Honestly the career prospects for med sci are actually pretty good, if the reason you're combining med sci with engineering is purely to secure a job if you don't get into med, I'd rethink that choice. Plus if you work really hard, achieving a GPA of 6 or higher in med sci is quite doable (which will stand you in good ground for getting a med interview), whereas unless you have really advanced problem solving and mathematical skills your GPA will probably take a nose dive from engineering courses
Hmmm...you've actually got me thinking...makes me wish I'd post this before preferences closed for main rounds. However engineering has always been one of my top options [of interest] as a uni degreee after going to UNSW engineering open day couple years ago, so I'm hoping my interests will hopefully pull me through....but I still gotta get the offer first :p

But thanks for the advice...much appreciated :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)