Engineering with low 70's ATAR? (1 Viewer)

fromsobi

HSC
Is it possible to get an offer from either uts, usyd or unsw for Software/civil engineering or science at either of the 3?

Last edited:

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Is it possible to get an offer from either uts, usyd or unsw for Software/civil engineering or science at either of the 3?
Unfortunately I don't think so. Most of them require high 80s - low 90s to get in. Maybe you can try doing it at another uni and then transferring over? I wish you all the best.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Did you do the engineering questionnaire for uts? That combined with eas if you are eligible (or bonus points) might scrape you in.

If not its fairly easy to transfer from UWS to UTS.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
In simple words, probably not, because Civil/Software is somewhere around the very late 80s/very early 90s, which exceeds 15 points from your words.

Mechanical Engineering the lowest cutoff for UTS Engineering, of an ATAR of 85-ish. You can even apply for an internal transfer after a year of study to Civil/Software Engineering. Most engineering courses start off with the core subjects, which all engineering disciplines at UTS must do.

Are you eligible for EAS? If so, what circumstances did you apply for? That also depends. 10 is the maximum
How did you went in your subjects relating to the course you want to get into? http://www.uts.edu.au/future-students/year-12-bonus
As Brent012 mentioned, try and do the engineering questionnaire.

Otherwise, I would suggest applying for a course @ UWS of your choice, get the required grades, then transfer into ANY university you would like as long as you have the grades needed for a transfer.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
*Transferring to a different uni during study is not that easy, as most unis would generally like fresh year 12 applicants. Of course, its still possible.

Your inquiry about engineering @ USYD/UNSW is very unlikely and out of the question since their admission board is much more stricter than UTS, but like I said either go try with Mechanical Engineering @ UTS is your highest choice at the moment. Otherwise, you'll certainly make it into UWS Engineering or even MACQ Engineering.

Feel free to ask anymore questions or even brent012 who has more experience and knows more than me :)

Last edited:

Technoash

HSC
Are you eligible for EAS? If so, what circumstances did you apply for? That also depends. 10 is the maximum
How did you went in your subjects relating to the course you want to get into? http://www.uts.edu.au/future-students/year-12-bonus
As Brent012 mentioned, try and do the engineering questionnaire.
Hello,
Do you know if EAS + the questionnaire + bonus points based on B6s all contribute to admission at UTS? Do you think there is a cap to the amount of admission schemes being used?

Thanks

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Hello,
Do you know if EAS + the questionnaire + bonus points based on B6s all contribute to admission at UTS? Do you think there is a cap to the amount of admission schemes being used?

Thanks
Yes they do, there are caps for each of them but not caps (that i'm aware of) for bonus points as a whole. But to be eligible for any bonus points at UTS you need over 69 ATAR.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Hello,

Thanks
iirc, all those 3 contribute for admission into UTS. Regarding the EAS however, it is important to acknowledge that it is dependent on the nature of the disadvantage.

You need an ATAR of at least 69 or over to be eligible for any bonus / EAS point program at UTS.

I personally know somebody with a low 70s ATAR made it into UTS which required around 86 because this person had a disability and therefore the disadvantage. What's more interesting was that this person did not apply for anything other than EAS, meaning that this person did not score any B6s to score bonus points. This person was fully relying on EAS for admission into UTS, which granted her 16 points technically.

However I think theres more to it, I've heard that from other threads that regardless of your disadvantage , you score the full 10 points and I've heard otherwise, in particular the case above.

The important thing now is just to focus on your studies and not have to worry at all. If you do well, you'd probably won't need bonus/EAS points anyway. :)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
this person did not apply for anything other than EAS, meaning that this person did not score any B6s to score bonus points.
HSC Bonus Points are automatic, they are also awarded for band 5/e3s in the relevant subjects for engineering. (and a couple for each band 5)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Did you do the engineering questionnaire for uts? That combined with eas if you are eligible (or bonus points) might scrape you in.

If not its fairly easy to transfer from UWS to UTS.
On a related note to this point, but not relatable to OP yet, its also possible to go from UWS to UNSW or USyd to UNSW etc (I have met heaps of people at uni who have transferred).

If you can do well in first year then transferring is not too difficult in that situation.

I'm not sure how well you have to do comparatively, but I can imagine distinction WAM (~75+) should be enough for a transfer. Not sure though so don't quote me on this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)