• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Engineering vs Science (1 Viewer)

Babbu

HSC
Friends! I have been thinking about doing advanced maths or science degree from USyd. ATAR too is above 99. But I am worried about the job prospects of a BSc degree - even the advanced ones.

I have been bombarded by suggestions that a high ATAR Engineering degree would be better than Advanced science or Maths. My parents too feel that a sceince degree will not lead me anywhere and with my ATAR I can get into Aero-Space engineering. That way I study my favorite subjects Physics and Maths plus there are better job prospects.
Will I automatically be in Talented Students Program if I do Aero-Space?

What do others have to say? Are there any students who regret doing a science degree and who now feel they should have done engineering or something else?
Are there any engineering students who gave up science and now are happy about their decision?

After all I don't want to spend years in a course and then realise there is no going back.

Very confused!!! Please please offer suggestions.

</SPAN>

jet

Banned
HSC
Science degrees aren't as useless as you think.

Depending on what your major is, some of the prospects include:
- Laboratory researcher
- Science teacher (with extra MTeach)
- University Academic (would include both research and teaching)
- Work in chemical industries
- Statistical analysis for companies (with Stats major)

I'm sure there are more prospects than these, though as you can see there are some good opportunities.

The science degrees are extremely flexible (as I understand it) and I am sure there is a combination which would suit the sort of job you are looking for

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Engineering does offer excellent job prospects, but the aero-space industry in Australia is very small so unless you go overseas i doubt doing aero-space engo over Adv. science will make finding a job that much easier.

I'd do what you love - you're more likely to perform better in that course, leading to better marks and a higher chance of being hired.

And as Jetblack said, there are jobs for those who do science degrees :)

jet

Banned
HSC
If you are a physics and maths type person, cosmology is always a possible area. There are so many issues which are yet to be addressed, you could really find some interesting and excellent prospects in that field. (Stephen Hawking is a cosmologist, if you didn't know)

Babbu

HSC
Thanks for your suggestions.
Well, science indeed has good job options but as my parents say, the success comes very late and the job cannot be defined till say after one's MSc or even PhD. A good Engo branch on the other hand makes one employable even after Bachelor's degree. And if one does ME or even PhD in Engineering then better still.
Hard to say. But in worldly terms, that is the job prestige involved could be better for Engineering jobs if one combines Engo with say management degrees. Science has more of teaching jobs that can be a bit stagnant after a while (so says my mom).
But BSc is pure sciences which i do love and the other is applied sc that is ok too as fater all it is about physics and maths.
Am confused even now. Will sort it all out soon. Hope so.

jet

Banned
HSC
Thanks for your suggestions.
Well, science indeed has good job options but as my parents say, the success comes very late and the job cannot be defined till say after one's MSc or even PhD. A good Engo branch on the other hand makes one employable even after Bachelor's degree. And if one does ME or even PhD in Engineering then better still.
Hard to say. But in worldly terms, that is the job prestige involved could be better for Engineering jobs if one combines Engo with say management degrees. Science has more of teaching jobs that can be a bit stagnant after a while (so says my mom).
But BSc is pure sciences which i do love and the other is applied sc that is ok too as fater all it is about physics and maths.
Am confused even now. Will sort it all out soon. Hope so.
What do your parents do for careers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)