engineering studies (1 Viewer)

kr73114

HSC
I was wondering if engineering studies was hard? Thinking of doing it next year. Does it help if you want to do engineering in uni?

hscwizz

HSC
Engineering is not necessary, as a prerequisite for any university, plus it has so much content that unless you have the most committed and coolest teacher in the world, unlike me, i recommend not doing it. Do chemistry, physics and mathematics + extension 1 or 2 instead, as they are the subjects that are wanted by the universities. If it gives you any indication we started off with 30 students and we now have 7 left actually doing the hsc exam the rest dropped the subject.

So good luck and don't pick engineering studies.

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
pfft .... there are no subjects "wanted" by universities
and there is little point in picking physics if you have no interest in it

I suggest hscwizz is biased because of their teacher

borrow a Eng Studies textbook and have a quick skim through
if it interests you then do it
Engineering courses at Uni are easier to get into than some other subjects

Dumbledore

HSC
if your there for the knowledge, pick engineering, if u want marks, pick physics instead or chemistry instead.

the engineering course for the HSC is substantially more difficult than the sciences from the fact that it has almost double the content.
in terms of difficulty, engineering conceptually is about the same as the sciences but more mathematically demanding (if you do MX1 or higher then this shouldn't be a problem though).

personally i found the content in this course interesting but was put off by the way my teacher taught it and the poor scaling of the subject

sam64mcd

HSC
Engineering studies for me is pretty difficult, but it has given me a possibility that I could do Engineering as a career if my primary goal doesn't work out. It has stacks of content, and some of it does overlap with Physics, Maths and Chemistry. If you can handle all the content you need to learn and understand, it's not a *bad* subject, but it has definitely been a challenge so far. The reason I chose it was because nothing else in the line interested me, and as I got into it, it's very mathematical, which is up my alley.

You also need to consider your own interests. If you already have subjects like Physics, Maths (possibly Ext 1) and Chemistry, then that's enough for uni (it's not necessary to do Engineering Studies) and something else on the same line interests you, then I personally think you should take that. For me, I had to choose between Music and Chemistry, and I have never regretted this decision and may do better in my HSC as a result, because although Chemistry is good for a B. Science, it's not essential coz I'm doing Physics and MX1 too, plus Music, something I'm passionate about.

Choosing a HSC subject for your career isn't always the best way, follow your interests. But if that's Engineering Studies, go for it. Just make sure you commit to lots and lots of study for it, as there's a lot to know!!!

Hope this helps :)
~ Samii xx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)