Engineering Question (1 Viewer)

_Moin_

HSC
Hi, I have been doing some past papers and the specimen paper for engineering. I have a few questions which I am currently having some difficulty doing. I was hoping if somebody would be able to help me.
My first question I know has already been asked but I do not get it. The question comes from the 2013 specimen paper.

Q22 a) A Pre-tensioned concrete beam is to be used in the construction of a ferry wharf. The steel tendons used to pre-tension the bea are 18mm in diameter and 6m in length. A force of 30kN is to be applied to each tendon.

i) Youngs Modulus for the steel cable used in the tendons is 210GPa. Calculate the extension of each tendon.

How would I calculate it. I know I am supposed to manipulate the Stress Strain Formula some how but am now really sure exactly what I should be doing.

Thank you for the help.

Last edited:

perhapsmaybewhy

HSC
A Pre-tensioned concrete beam is to be used in the construction of a ferry wharf. The steel tendons used to pre-tension the bea are 18mm in diameter and 6m in length. A force of 30kN is to be applied to each tendon.

i) Youngs Modulus for the steel cable used in the tendons is 210GPa. Calculate the extension of each tendon.

How would I calculate it. I know I am supposed to manipulate the Stress Strain Formula some how but am now really sure exactly what I should be doing.

youngs modulus= FL/EA

210x 10^9= 30x10^3 x 6 / E x area of beam (pie x 18)

Then you just manipulate the question (i think my si units are wrong but w/e) so

e= 30x10^3 x 6 / 210x 10^9= 30x10^3 x 6 /210x 10^9 x area of beam (pie x 18)

_Moin_

HSC
worked nicely, thank you really appreciate the help.

Tacoo

HSC
Do you know where the answers for the specimen paper are? :S I only have the multiple choice ones

_Moin_

HSC
Lol soz for late reply, there were no sample answers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)