Engineering (out of school) workload? (1 Viewer)

ffutsdoog

HSC
Hi, I know that engineering is a much harder course than most. I have a 24 hour week first yr student. However, I was wondering how much work and study is required in the hours off uni, because I'm planning to get a job and all that. My goal is probably credit average at least, and not having any uni experience, I have no idea what to expect. I'm silently and desperately hoping it won't be like high school, especially during the HSC year with study required almost everyday etc.

I'm doing biomedical engineering and realise uni is not going to be as easy and breezy as many think.

Thanks a lot in advance!

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
Most of us take up part time jobs while at uni, even the engineering students. Striking a balance between how much you work and how much you study is something you will learn over the course of uni. It might be difficult as an engineering student, but it can be done while achieving a respectable grade.

1. Do not leave assignments to the last minute, just put a little effort in each day.
2. Go over the lecture material to allow the information to sink in after a day
3. If there are tute questions, attempt some of them, if you have questions, ask your tutor in your tute session.

If you do this properly for a couple of hours or so each day after uni, you should be more prepared in the long run and less pressured when choosing to work over the weekends.

Good Luck

ffutsdoog

HSC
Most of us take up part time jobs while at uni, even the engineering students. Striking a balance between how much you work and how much you study is something you will learn over the course of uni. It might be difficult as an engineering student, but it can be done while achieving a respectable grade.

1. Do not leave assignments to the last minute, just put a little effort in each day.
2. Go over the lecture material to allow the information to sink in after a day
3. If there are tute questions, attempt some of them, if you have questions, ask your tutor in your tute session.

If you do this properly for a couple of hours or so each day after uni, you should be more prepared in the long run and less pressured when choosing to work over the weekends.

Good Luck

Thanks! I guess I'm gonna have to change all my job applications then. Said I'd be available all weekdays after 5pm and all weekends. I underestimated uni.

nimrod_dookie

Tryhard Geek
HSC
I recommend not applying for a job until you have been at uni for at least half a semester. You often don't settle in as readily as you think you will, even if you think you are prepared for the uni challenge. This will also give you time to work out your routines. I personally found my body clock changed a lot with the more unconvential uni timetable times i.e 11am to 7pm days as opposed to 9 am to 3pm and learn how you will fit study around everything. Once you know these things, it's so much easier to fit a part time job in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)