• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Engineering Or Science Course at UWS (1 Viewer)

kido525

HSC
im an confused on the 2 courses i have go no idea which to choose between the two if ne1 who has experience or know of ne PROS or CONS it would help drastically and bring me back to track about which to take this year ....

If we want to do a course and we are off by a few marks can we still scrape into the course we want say if i got 68.55 and the cutoff is 70.0 would i be likely to be accepted ty in response

feel free to voice ur opinions

klh

HSC
well fo rinstance, if your uai is low and the uai is high, than you wouldnt be able to get in, sinc ethat isthe lowest uai accepted. the uai you see in your uac guide is last years, so although it may act as a guide, it doesnt stay the same...it may change, higher or lower will depend on demand.
its hard ot predict, i mena my course had a high uai and last year is as low due to less demand since the fees thingo [25% up] and other things happening such as the trades and their lack of peopel in them...dunno how this year is gonna go but wiht this vsu debate etc., it might stem the flow. i do hope that you get in, but in your last preferences, put a backup, a really low uai course so you still get in and then trasnfer, sort alike me and a coupole of my mates [one who actually went to wagga...]

whether you want to pick on engineering or science is up to you, but a quick sum is that engineering uses science and applies it to the real world, while science is there to prove hypotheses nad make conclusions or discover new developments...well basically anyway...
these courses here are low uai already

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Engineering is a pretty demanding course, and unless it's drastically different at UWS than at USyd I honestly don't think anyone who got below 80 UAI could handle it.

But that's just my opinion.

klh

HSC
yes...its very demanding but it depends on which strand..i think civil is less er demanding than say elctrical where there is more maths...i tend ot agree with you but those who work hard are teh exceptions.

i dunno how different, but most of the degrees get that engineers aus or somethign like that...porbably overall similar

kido525

HSC
Hi guys i would like to start off by saying are u thinking of applying a engineering course at UTS but u are below the cutoff score by like 7 points or so and u have took advantage of the "MULTIPLE CRITERIA QUESTIONAIRE", do we still have a better chance at getting the into the course...

This is my situation i have got a UAI of 68.55 and the cutoff for a course i would like to do which is CIVIL ENGINEERING is 75.0 will my questionaire and UAI be combined and would it be likely that i would be accepted into the course?????

Or if they have no vacancies and they need people would they accept me if i really wanted to get in?

Is engineering at UTS ne good ?

Thx in regards please feel free to voice ur opinions and replies

klh

HSC
well this is a UWS forum, but form what i know the UTS extra questionaiire gives you extra uai "points" if your application/questionairre is good...i dont know how they do since i never did it [my error] but ask the UTS forum if you like or call them, visit their website to get thier hotline, since its uac time they will be online...
we cant really comment how likely it is but try your hardest in applying everywhere.
i hope that you also consider putting in diplomas at tafe just in case, or certs. My friends did a drafting cert and he found a job through tafe and is earning moeny well ahead before me which makes me a bit cross..but anyway, enough of my crap; ask the UTS poeple and choose your preferncdes where you think that you can get in rather than places that have a leeser probability of letting you get in...

hope it helps

kido525

HSC
yea thx heaps buddy i will take what u said into consideration cheers

L

LaraB

EVEYRONE STREsSING OVER UWS COURSE OPTIONS -

keep in mind the internal transfer scheme at uws - ie you can change courses if you do well in the course you enrol in but hate it or whatever..

for more info go to www.uws.edu.au - click on the link on the left "future students" and you should find it somewhere in there

texta83

HSC
Engineering is a very difficult course at any university. If you like a lot of maths then u should be able to handle it. I recommend the bridging courses, because u need some background knowledge in matrix maths and calculus etc.

If you have a UAI lower than the lowest UAI entry into a course then you have a very small chance of getting into that course using a normal application. Thats why its called a cutoff.

SweetSeasons

HSC
I did Bach of Science this year, my first year of uni.
There are good things about the bach of science like you can chose any subject you want.. it's pretty much an an arts degree except for science minded people. Most peopel choose electives which relate to what 2nd year subjects they want to choose.
If you go General science, I think you have to do two core units of maths and physics but the core units change depending on your major.
My subjects where Chem, Bio, Fundamentals of maths and Anotomy in sem 1 and in sem 2 i did bio and design and engineering concepts. My friends this sem chose a forensic science unit.. so in that way it's really flexible.
Most of my lecturers where good.. except for my bio one, she just made it so boring.

So really if the time table works out you can chose a unit from engineering as your elective. I actualy think the engineering course you have to do a maths unit and i know that you do design and engineering concepts.

Engineering
Science

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)