Engineering Maths (1 Viewer)

frenzal_dude

UTS Student
HSC
N/A
leave him alone man, who are you to say he cant do engineering. but omnipotent its gonna be fucking hard for you. most uni's say 3 unit is assumed knowledge but you can get by with a GOOD understanding of 2 unit. I would like to say get a 2unit textbook and you will be fine - but its not that simple.

As soon as school finishes get a good tutor who is willing to tutor atleast 2 (atleast!) days a week, and learn 2unit! but dont worry about the stuff you dont need (like probability and sequences and series).

For first year engineering maths you should know differentiation and integration like the back of your hand. And you will also need to know curve sketching and algebra (which is learnt before yr 12).

good luck ! and btw, even though you wanted to do law, wtf were you thinking not choosing maths! Its a vital part of life!!!
Depending on what uni he gets in to, he will actually need to know sequences and series.

But Omnipotent, the main thing you will need to know is calculus, algebra, trig, curve sketching, d/w too much about probability etc.

chrisnumber1

HSC
I think what he's trying to say is that 4 Unit Maths is demanding, and to make the most of it you need to enjoy it. From the sounds of it you didn't enjoy Maths at all, so 4 Unit Maths doesn't sound like it would have been your cup of tea.
thats the nice version of what i meant.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Electrical engineering is probably the hardest engineering course you can do from what i've heard and i know at UNSW you must do higher everything lol.

You could do fundamentals but seriously, just learn 3U and 4U if possible :)

If you don't like maths... don't do engineering.

nikkifc

HSC
Electrical engineering is probably the hardest engineering course you can do from what i've heard and i know at UNSW you must do higher everything lol.
I think it's just higher Physics and Computing 1A/1B. ie, you can still do MATH1131/1231...

random-1005

Banned
HSC
If possible, try to teach yourself the whole 4unit course...it'll help you in first year.

so far ( yes it has only been 1/2 a year), but there has been hardly any 4 unit stuff in MATH 1A

its just been integration by part, implicit differentiation and complex numbers ( and the way they do complex numbers at uni is way better than the shit they teach at high school) i think that was like it, i dont see why they say 4 unit math is so good to have, its not like its that much of an advantage

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
so far ( yes it has only been 1/2 a year), but there has been hardly any 4 unit stuff in MATH 1A

its just been integration by part, implicit differentiation and complex numbers ( and the way they do complex numbers at uni is way better than the shit they teach at high school) i think that was like it, i dont see why they say 4 unit math is so good to have, its not like its that much of an advantage
You don't do 4unit for the content, but for the mindset and problem solving skills the subject gives you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)