engineering + law - is it any good? (1 Viewer)

bellea013

HSC
Hey I am in year 12 and i think id like to do civil eng and law at new south next year, but some people i have talked to seem to think that would be a crazy hard amount of work. does anyone do engineering and law or know anyone who does? it seems like its pretty uncommon....also is civil engineering a good course?

gman03

HSC
I don't know anyone who does that but I encourage you to do so. I'm just wondering why you have this idea in mind.

This combination is not crazy.

Civil engineering is a good course, especially for people with ambitions.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Contact the member gordo if you're interested in engineering+law, he's 1st year BE(Aero/space)/LLB @ USyd.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Remember that each semester requires a constant amount of credit points - uniform for any degree. Whilst subject difficulty can vary, it I imagine this would moderate difficulty somewhat.

Also think in the long term: that's what, 5 years? It's another thing to take into account, but of course if you really desire it, don't be perturbed by the duration.

Civil + Law is a pretty synergistic combination, at least.

nit

HSC
Combined Engineering Law degrees tend to be 6 years I think. That's at Usyd anyway.

laney

HSC
two people in my year do it.
it does seem like a very big load but they're very smart guys so they manage.

toto

HSC
Ahh? laney you really know people who did it?
I know no one who did it.... 6 and 1/2 year course....horrible

laney

HSC
eh apparently it's only 6 years

seems long, but if you like uni (like i do) you'll want to be there for aaaaages :)

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
u'd have to be very committed to ur studies...even to the point of abandoning your social life

batigol

Giant
HSC
so...how do they shrink 2 courses into 6 yrs instead of ,say, 8yrs, arent ppl skipping stuff?

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
engo is 4 years law is 3
u are basically doing engo then grad law, however they spread the first yr of law over the first 3 years of engo (1 subject/semester)
then u have the 4th yr only of engo cause u do a thesis
and then u graduate with BE and do 2 years full time law and then graduate again wth llb

so far the workload is fine, i expected it to be harder, but i've only done 1 semester.
for the first semester at least, your social life isn't burdened at all :)

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
I think when you combine anything with engineering at UNSW you have to do the first year of engineering, so no non engineering subjects until second year...thats how it is with arts and science, not sure about law though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)