• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Engineering/Commerce (1 Viewer)

T

Testpilot

Black Hawker said:
Hmm, thanks for that heads up Testpilot. I'm reconsidering my options.

I currently don't do Chemistry - will that be a problem?
Not doing chem will not be a problem. You can do a bridging course or wing it (i did that and still got alright marks)

elfm said:
edit: might i point out - most of the people that fail eng are people that shouldnt be there in the first place anyway... if you truly think you can do engineering then you should be fine. a lot of people are there because of the relatively low uai cutoff (it was 78-80 a few yrs ago, but now they made everything 85 to sort out the wannabe engo's)
That is what I was meaning. Don't do engo for the money etc only do it if you want to do/study it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Hawker

HSC
Testpilot said:
That is what I was meaning. Don't do engo for the money etc only do it if you want to do/study it.
Money is not really that important. I rather do something that I like...eg doctor/lawyer vs engineer, I would do engineering.

HSC
Hi there!

i am a first year who has just started electrical at UNSW. from speaking to other people, I think that saying only 20% finish the degree is a slight exaggeration....but i could be wrong, i am only an inexperienced 1st yr after all...

I think that dropping out can also constitute switching to a different stream of engineering; but in all honesty I think you will be fine. Just from looking at your sig, you have a UAI aim in the 90s and you go to Penrith High which means you are probably quite smart.

so try not to let anyone put you off electrical just yet :)

Black Hawker said:
I currently don't do Chemistry - will that be a problem?
only if you want to do an engineering which has chemistry subjects in it: eg materials or chemical engineering, but definitely for electrical you don't need to worry about chem. the bridging courses are supposed to be excellent, and also they only teach you what is relevant for uni, so you don't need to worry about trying to learn a whole hsc course in 3 weeks or anything.

anyway engineering at UNSW is an excellent choice :D and good luck with the rest of the HSC!!

Black Hawker

HSC
almost done now said:
Hi there!

i am a first year who has just started electrical at UNSW. from speaking to other people, I think that saying only 20% finish the degree is a slight exaggeration....but i could be wrong, i am only an inexperienced 1st yr after all...

I think that dropping out can also constitute switching to a different stream of engineering; but in all honesty I think you will be fine. Just from looking at your sig, you have a UAI aim in the 90s and you go to Penrith High which means you are probably quite smart.

so try not to let anyone put you off electrical just yet :)
Thanks. How are you finding the electrical course?

only if you want to do an engineering which has chemistry subjects in it: eg materials or chemical engineering, but definitely for electrical you don't need to worry about chem. the bridging courses are supposed to be excellent, and also they only teach you what is relevant for uni, so you don't need to worry about trying to learn a whole hsc course in 3 weeks or anything.

anyway engineering at UNSW is an excellent choice :D and good luck with the rest of the HSC!!
I'm not going to do materials or chemical engineering, so I don't need engineering. :D

Thanks again. Let's hope that I can get my goal. :D

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Musk said:
USYD is dreadful for engineering its program is still in the 90's

but USYD has aeronautalical and space engineering really up to that and if you wanted to be one of the very few that wanna do it then i advise you to go to usyd

for electrical its either uts or unsw. ur call
their mech and manufac degrees are alrite also. the aeromech faculty gets too much money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)