Engineering (Civil) / Design in Architecture (1 Viewer)

akukei

HSC
Anybody Else considering doing the new Engineering (Civil) / Design in Architecture combined degree in '09 at Sydney?

Any guesses as what the UAI cut off might be.

eightysix

HSC
N/A
i'm thinking about doing eng/arch- i talked to someone from USYD and they estimated around 95. (which is a whole 5 points above the UNSW cutoff!)

why would you pick USYD over UNSW?
UNSW is reputably better for engineering... but i'd really like to go to USYD for the campus life, location etc.

akukei

HSC
Pretty much the same reasons. Campus life, its a lot closer for me, and i just want to go there. =P Does UNSW offer the eng/arch combined degree also?

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
akukei said:
Pretty much the same reasons. Campus life, its a lot closer for me, and i just want to go there. =P Does UNSW offer the eng/arch combined degree also?
yeh i think so, but it might not be a double degree....think you can do civil engineering combined with architecture or something like that.

engineering

HSC
N/A
USyd is offering a combined degree over 5 years: You graduate with both a BE & BDesArch.

UNSW offers a single degree majoring in architecture over 4 years.

As this is a new course, it is hard to say what the UAI will be, but it will be no less than the architecture only UAI

doink

Clone
HSC
eightysix said:
why would you pick USYD over UNSW?
UNSW is reputably better for engineering...
You are an idiot, if you consider quality of post-graduate research papers to make the undergrad course for every engineering degree more "reputable" then i doubt you have the intelligence to do engineering anywhere.

eightysix

HSC
N/A
calm down, i was just wondering why people have chosen UNSW/USYD- i wasn't implying that it would be foolish to pick USYD, just that i've heard that UNSW is better, and i was asking if anyone could give an alternate opinion.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
eightysix said:
calm down, i was just wondering why people have chosen UNSW/USYD- i wasn't implying that it would be foolish to pick USYD, just that i've heard that UNSW is better, and i was asking if anyone could give an alternate opinion.
UNSW is leap years ahead of USYD in engineering. in fact, Usyd civil engineering has the worst inudustrial reputation in NSW. i would advise you to pick UNSW over USYD any day.

akukei

HSC
bigboyjames

UNSW is leap years ahead of USYD in engineering. in fact, Usyd civil engineering has the worst inudustrial reputation in NSW. i would advise you to pick UNSW over USYD any day.
However as far as i know UTS does not offer civil engineering with a combined degree in Architecture.

Doesn't that give USYD a bit of an advantage?

Although i am aware that UTS and UNSW do have better courses, wouldn't having greater experience with design give USYD students advantages in different areas?

slickstar_01

Banned
HSC
akukei said:
However as far as i know UTS does not offer civil engineering with a combined degree in Architecture.
correct

Doesn't that give USYD a bit of an advantage?
lol how? just because a uni offers a double degree does not mean it is a better uni in that field.

akukei said:
Although i am aware that UTS and UNSW do have better courses, wouldn't having greater experience with design give USYD students advantages in different areas?
nop

akukei

HSC
slickstar_01 said:
correct

lol how? just because a uni offers a double degree does not mean it is a better uni in that field.

nop
I don't mean students will specifically better in the field of civil engineering. The opposite is probably true. However, by studying both engineering and architecture students would [or could... i don't really know] gain a more balanced/wide understanding of both fields and the ways they are linked together thus meaning that they would be more sought after in industry than a student who had only completed civil engineering at USYD, and thus either not as far below/equal to/more desirable than a UTS or UNSW student.

Fong

HSC
i'm interested in this combined degree as well but i've heard that usyd is shit for structural engineering. UNSW has 'civil with architecture' but that only has a few architecture courses in it. Will unsw and uts graduates be preferred over usyd graduates even if they have an extra degree in architecture?

Foreshadowed

HSC
Hmm I went to the information day today and I asked the lecturer about this course. Apparently over 100 people have applied for it as their first preference and only 15 people are accepted into the course. The cut-off is anticipated to be in the high 90s...like 97.9 high :/

Well whoever does this will have an immense advantage according to the lecturer XD

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
one of my friends was telling me that yeh, he wants to do it, but he told me there were only 15 places LOL

Good luck guys & gals!

PS: Seems to me, USYD offering only 15 places is an attempt to make the UAI entry for the new course high (reasonable demand, extremely low supply), so as to attract more people in the future (when maybe they offer more places), so as to look 'better' than UNSW

Last edited:

engineering

HSC
N/A
Please be assured this is not the case.

1: The final UAI and total intake has not yet been finalised, though being the first year this option is offered the intake will not be large.
2: USyd is not restricting the number of places in any attempt to make the UAI exceptionally high. There are size limits imposed on the total Architecture intake to take into account the available resources.

Pwnage101 said:
one of my friends was telling me that yeh, he wants to do it, but he told me there were only 15 places LOL

Good luck guys & gals!

PS: Seems to me, USYD offering only 15 places is an attempt to make the UAI entry for the new course high (reasonable demand, extremely low supply), so as to attract more people in the future (when maybe they offer more places), so as to look 'better' than UNSW

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
engineering said:
Please be assured this is not the case.

1: The final UAI and total intake has not yet been finalised, though being the first year this option is offered the intake will not be large.
2: USyd is not restricting the number of places in any attempt to make the UAI exceptionally high. There are size limits imposed on the total Architecture intake to take into account the available resources.
yep, i understand

total intake would have to be finalised soon wouldn't it [i would have thought it would already be finalised], cause UAC gives out main round offers in 9 days....

Foreshadowed

HSC
would people complete masters of architecture after finishing this 5 year combined degree?

I was thinking about it, and studying for 7 years is really off putting, despite the break between the courses.

is it better to just do the combined degree and then go into the workforce, or would it be better to complete masters as well?

Miss Winey

HSC
well it depends on what you want to be, and what you want to do with your life.

if you simply want to be an engineer with architectural skills, then no, you probably don't want to do the masters.

if you want to ab architect with engineering skills, yes you will need to do the last 2 years to get your architect's licence.

However, how do you know, you know what you want to do with your life?
I have 3 friends who just finish the 3 year design in architecture part, and they STILL don't know if they want to be an architect. They are all doing a bit of travelling, working in various places, and deciding later if it is really what they want to do.

You have 5 years to decide, so don't worry about it now.

why is it that so many 18 year olds want to know their life plan at 18? it never turns out they way you think anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)