engineerin (1 Viewer)

bubu

ok i applied to get into aeronautical/space, mechanical/space, mechanical/space and aeronautics at USYD

i jus have some questions on those areas
1. do i need 4unit mechanics cause i missed out on doin it
2. is there alot of physics involved... which would be good
3. is it always full of extremely smart people
4. i heard that they are very theory based... but do some prac, can someone give me a rough idea of the percentage of theory to prac
5. do many people get offered jobs in america to work for companies like bell or boeing, if so how many
6. is the SAE thingy any good to do with the subjects i am considerin to do or does it take too much time
7. wat books do i need for the courses?
8. wat should i do for the last year major and how easy is it to get a honours in the space streams
9. can you do a masters in MIT or princeton once u finish your bachelors or do i have to go back to the beginning
10. especially in aeronautics/space, there are onli 15 spaces and are they usually full
11. are the teachers any good, do i need to be careful of some teachers. ie some that get realli pissed easily
12. wat is the drop out rate for people who get into the space stream
13. and do i need to get 99.4 for aeronautic/space or is that jus because there are onli 15 spaces.
14. and finally can u do a double degreee with the space streams or is it too much work, and ive seen someone do law and aeronautic/space but can i put it together with somethin like medicine or advanced science

cheers

ioniser

HSC
you cant do the double with commerce and law in 2006,they changed it this year ,but you could do it last year (thats whats written under the uac book)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
1. No, but it would help. If you're competent in maths overall then you shouldn't be worried.
2. There is physics involved, but not too much.
3. Depends on what you mean by smart.
4. Don't know
5. Don't know, but you'll probably need to find your own job.
6. SAE from what I heard is time consuming but if you like cars it's worth it.
7. Wait until you know which subjects you need to do.
8. Everyone who achieve a certain mark do honours, I think it's 65 but not too sure.
9. Don't know, probably if it's a ME.
10. Course having a small intake here has no relationship with overseas degrees.
11. Some are good, some are bad, wait until you know who's teaching you.
12. Don't know.
13. You can get into flexible first year, get a D average and into the space streams. Flexible was around 86 last year.
14. Medicine, no. Medical science and advanced science, yes.

bubu

thanks ioniser and templar, thats a bummer i cant do commerce/law with aeronautics/space

wat if i get into b commerce/b engineering and if i get distinction average and get into commerce/law and if i get distinction in engineering then i can do aeronautical/spave

is it possible?

or would it be too much work

ioniser

HSC
cant do commerce /law with any of the space streams

you have to get a distinction average in first years to get into law or even high distinction will be requried combined with a high uai

they take half your uni results and half your uai

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
dz said:
wat if i get into b commerce/b engineering and if i get distinction average and get into commerce/law and if i get distinction in engineering then i can do aeronautical/spave
I'm not sure exactly what you want to do here, to get into space engineering from flexible first year you need a D average overall. That includes accounting or any commerce courses you do in first year.

Don't know what the requirements for transferring into a combined law degree would be, it would be best to check with law.

Otherwise, the engineering section is quite relaxed. You'll be doing two or so engineering disciplines, maths and some accounting subjects, with maybe a bit of science, not too sure what happens in BE BCom.

esther

HSC
dz said:
ok i applied to get into aeronautical/space, mechanical/space, mechanical/space and aeronautics at USYD

6. is the SAE thingy any good to do with the subjects i am considerin to do or does it take too much time
yes SAE may be time consuming but its a whole heap of fun~!!!
especially when you see your car racing around the tracks at the end of the yr

but when we were chosing next yr team members, we took mechanical in preference to ther other degrees... its mostly mechanical, mechctronics and a few space people...

Last edited:

bubu

oh ok...

with the SAE are we allowed to stay throughout the night fixin the SAE like in UNSW when i went there to check out the engineering courses and sydney didnt want me for some apparent reason. i got there and there where people sleepin in the corner at like 7am apparently there all night fixing up the car.

p.s this was just before the launch of their SAE. ^_^

also where can i get that program where u can design planes and stuff, its like a cad system or somethin. It was so much fun, but i cant find the software anywhere. Hopefully it doesnt cost 100k like the dean said anymore. This was 2 years ago

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
dz said:
also where can i get that program where u can design planes and stuff, its like a cad system or somethin. It was so much fun, but i cant find the software anywhere. Hopefully it doesnt cost 100k like the dean said anymore. This was 2 years ago
You either buy it, or if the uni offers licenced copies to students doing a course requiring the program, wait until you do that course and obtain a copy from the uni.

Wraith

I eat children.
HSC
dz said:

i jus have some questions on those areas
1. do i need 4unit mechanics cause i missed out on doin it
2. is there alot of physics involved... which would be good
3. is it always full of extremely smart people
4. i heard that they are very theory based... but do some prac, can someone give me a rough idea of the percentage of theory to prac
5. do many people get offered jobs in america to work for companies like bell or boeing, if so how many
7. wat books do i need for the courses?
8. wat should i do for the last year major and how easy is it to get a honours in the space streams
9. can you do a masters in MIT or princeton once u finish your bachelors or do i have to go back to the beginning
10. especially in aeronautics/space, there are onli 15 spaces and are they usually full
11. are the teachers any good, do i need to be careful of some teachers. ie some that get realli pissed easily
12. wat is the drop out rate for people who get into the space stream
13. and do i need to get 99.4 for aeronautic/space or is that jus because there are onli 15 spaces.
14. and finally can u do a double degreee with the space streams or is it too much work, and ive seen someone do law and aeronautic/space but can i put it together with somethin like medicine or advanced science

cheers
1. Doesn't matter. They teach you what you need to know.
2. There is a lot of mechanics involved.
3. Depends on your concept of smart. :p
4. Depending on the courses, it can be as much as 50/50.
5. You don't get offered unless you apply - US-based companies usually require US citizenship for anything interesting - applications need to be made early in 4th year.
6. SAE is too time consuming and largely irrelevant for a space degree. Go with SAE only if you're doing mechanical.
7. You're told in your first lectures.
8. You choose your topic at the end of third year, based on what people are offering and what you're interested in. You'll get honours if you pass the degree.
9. You apply and see. You're not given anything like that by default.
10. Yes. They're usually full.
11. It's the real world, you'll meet all different types of people. Learn to deal with it.
12. From my year, zero. But that's because we were a fairly tight-knit group. Don't know about other years.
13. Yes. (Okay, I got in with an 86, but that's another story :p)
14. You can do double, but it depends on where you want to go afterward - if you want an ME or PhD, forget combined, there's no point having it if you apply for a job with a PhD in Eng anyways.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)