ENGG1000 full, advises students to possibly drop (1 Viewer)

henry08

HSC
N/A
How dodgy is the below email.

"Dear Students,
Many of you might already be aware that ENGG1000 is presently full. Any students enrolled in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Electrical Engineering have been asked to kindly un-enrol from ENGG1000 in Semester 1 if they are able to find suitable class times available in another appropriate course, such as ELEC1111 or another course as recommended by their School Office. You can find out about class times by going to www.timetable.unsw.edu.au.

Anyone else who is currently enrolled in ENGG1000 and who needs to complete this in Semester 1, due either to pre-requisite issues or lack of project availability in Semester 2, should make sure that they STAY ENROLLED. We have had many reports of students "accidentally" dropping ENGG1000 and then being unable to re-enrol. At this stage the class is so full that dropping out means that your place will be not be available for you to re-enrol in again. So BE VERY CAREFUL, if you are swapping classes or altering your enrolment in any way, that you do not disturb your ENGG1000 enrolment if you are one of those students who is required to complete ENGG1000 in Semester 1.

If you have questions about this please contact your School Office."

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
How is it dodgy? It just means that if you "accidentally" unenro from ENGG1000, someone might see that there's a spot and take it while you're trying to re-enrol.

LordPc

HSC
that sounds pretty bad, and thats quite poor from the unsw staff to resort to asking certain degrees to step aside. surely they would have seen this coming when they gave out the offers

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
lol unorganised much? Isn't there ATAR cut-offs to avoid this situation?

LordPc

HSC
Nah I think the point is that people who absolutely have to do ENGG1000 in Semester 1 can't get in because people who can do it in Sem 2 are deciding to do it in Sem 1.
nobody wants to do it in semester 2 and with good reason. the sem 2 engg1000 is for mid year entrants and people who (somehow) failed engg1000 in 1st sem. for a course heavily based on groupwork, i dont wish to stereotype, but i would say that people doing engg1000 in 2nd sem dont have as many people who are super concerned about their education and are striving for HDs. im sure they are there, but im also sure that percentage-wise there are a lot more taking the course in sem 1

not only that but im not certain on the actual number of projects available, but i am positive its less than the amount offered in sem 1, which logically can only mean that more importance is placed on the sem 1 course than the sem 2 course

id be interested to know what the exact problem is though. they can easily hold repeat lectures like they do in some subjects. id also say that there would be many people who would apply for a tutoring position, so tutor shortage cant be the issue. cant see why too many students is an issue here

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I think he means it's dodgy because it's asking those who got in first to drop the subject to open spots to other students.
Oh i see. In that case, that is very dodgy. UNSW should've seen this coming...

L4mbCh0p

HSC
I dropped ENGG1000 on the advice of that email only to realise that ELEC1111 was also full. That's a little shitty.

Sent them an email asking to fix that.

henry08

HSC
N/A
I dropped ENGG1000 on the advice of that email only to realise that ELEC1111 was also full. That's a little shitty.

Sent them an email asking to fix that.
It might be easier to just see them in person tomorrow if you are here for O week.

dawdlex3

HSC
Planning fail.

They could easier squeeze in a few more spots with a larger lecture hall.

(By the way, I don't seem to be able to access any UNSW websites now? Is the whole server down or something?)

henry08

HSC
N/A
I can't access any UNSW websites either, down for me also.

LordPc

HSC
Planning fail.

They could easier squeeze in a few more spots with a larger lecture hall.

(By the way, I don't seem to be able to access any UNSW websites now? Is the whole server down or something?)
they dont come much bigger than Clancy which can seat like 1000 students + couple hundred on the outside

they've screwed up somewhere else along the line. y'all should protest at the engg1000 welcome

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)