ENGG1000 - 1st semester or 2nd (1 Viewer)

Iguana

HSC
Hey all,

At the moment I'm choosing which stream of engineering to go into for 2nd year.
Do you recommend choosing ENGG1000 as a second semester course rather than a first as the space would allow me to choose another elective from a stream I'm interested in?
Are there any negatives in leaving it till second semester?

Thanks

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
not offered in second semester.

and you're better off choosing the recommended electives, since they're required for some second year subjects.

Iguana

HSC
Sorry, but in the Welcome Pack we recieved in the mail it had as asterisk next to it which meant that it could be completed in either semester

untouchablecuz

HSC
do it S1. supposedly more project options (4 vs. 2 or something)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
well in that case... if you decide you wanna do mechatronics, then you need to have done comp1911 in first semester, and if u wanna do anything from mechanical/manufac faculty, then you need to have done mman1300 (engineering design 1) and mats1101 (engineering materials and chem) in semester 2 as your electives.

..it would be a good idea to decide what stream you wanna go into, rather than decide at the end, then find out that there's subjects that you needed to have done, then waste time doing those subjects and falling behind half a year or so (this happened to a friend of mine).

"Lee-.-Roy"

HSC
ENGG1000 is offered in both semesters (just to confirm). This is confirmed apparently with an e-mail from someone from ESC. The handbook stuffed up this time.

as with ENGG1000, click here and scroll down, and you'll see my reasons why you wouldn't wanna do it in 2nd semester. Don't follow my footpath...

For some ideas with this course in S2. In 2009 S2 (*sigh* yes i did it just last semester), ENGG1000 only had one project. The project involved creating a device that achieves the following:

- goes around an L shaped track
- stops at a line as specified and waits
- detects a signal (light, infrared, radio), then shoots a mini basketball ball into a hoop at the end of the track
- the system is completely automatic

we had 2 testing days (ie 2 attempts for the device). out of the 30-40 teams, there were only 1 and at most 2 cases of success. its fail to the max ;)

now compare this with the projects you have in your little intro booklet for the course in S1. know what to pick now??? =)

LordPc

HSC
do it S1. supposedly more project options (4 vs. 2 or something)
lol, not even close

1st sem you get offered a project by every engineering school i think, so its more like 14 options in 1st sem.

running engg1000 in 2nd sem is confusing. just take it in 1st like all engineers should. 2nd sem is more for those mid-year entry students and people that (remarkably) fail it first time round

"Lee-.-Roy"

HSC
lol, not even close

running engg1000 in 2nd sem is confusing. just take it in 1st like all engineers should. 2nd sem is more for those mid-year entry students and people that (remarkably) fail it first time round
correction: please DO add in the category of double degree students, cause I'm one of them =)

Morbo

HSC
Definately do it during the first semester. You get to pick and choose which project you'd like to do (and it doesn't necessarily have to be your selected major). There will be more people enrolled in ENGG1000 at that time and that gives you a greater chance you meet more new people. I did it during second semester and we had to design an autonomous vehicle that turned a corner, stopped and then elevated a toy car, which was the only project offered during that semester (kind of pointless if you were doing a civil major). I had mates who did it during semester 1 and they had to design a vehicle out of a dust buster for the mechanical project.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)