engagements (1 Viewer)

Snow Pea!

Touch it Bring it Pay it
HSC
mmk.
well the 2nd time this term someone in my classes has gotten engaged.
shes 18.
so was the other gal.
they are good mates.

anyhoo..

what do you guys think about early engagements? and how many of you have younger mates that are engaged now?

alot of my friends are getting engaged and whatnot.. but i havent even gotten a bf yet :/ haha

so what do you guys think about it all?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Well... I know a few too but theyre swearing with their lives that they won't get married until after uni is over.... is that the same with you?

I couldn't imagine settling down, I mean, I get scared thinking this guy I'm with might be the last guy I am allowed to have butterflies for, if that makes sense, even if I've got a boyfriend of 3 years.

Nevertheless, their state of mind... *shrug*. They are some people beyond our age and state of mind which is all great. But some of them are just plain naive and caught up with the magic and idea of it. I feel most of them getting engaged at our age are the latter.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
i am engaged: don't do it, live ur freedom first, the end.

AnataDaiteyo

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
I couldn't imagine settling down, I mean, I get scared thinking this guy I'm with might be the last guy I am allowed to have butterflies for, if that makes sense, even if I've got a boyfriend of 3 years.
I understand... i couldnt do it either

Snow Pea!

Touch it Bring it Pay it
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
Well... I know a few too but theyre swearing with their lives that they won't get married until after uni is over.... is that the same with you?

Nevertheless, their state of mind... *shrug*. They are some people beyond our age and state of mind which is all great, some of them are just plain naive and caught up with the magic and idea of it. I feel most of them getting engaged at our age are the latter.
yeh one of them said that they will wait until the end of uni. they were together for 7 months.
im not sure about the other girl. i only found out on friday. she was sitting near me during the presentations in tourism just staring and admiring the ring on her hand. i had to say something :p
her bf lives in canada and they see eachother only every so often during the year. he is down for a month, and just popped the question. kind of sweet and all. :)

and yeh i understand what you mean about being scared about settling down. but sometimes i guess you can feel if its right. or not. i havent been in a relo for a while :/ haha

Skeeta

HSC
i've been with my boyfriend for about 4.5 years, we're both committed and have decided we will get married etc, but we arent engaged, because we simply cant afford it whilst we are both studying (and we dont want to be engaged for like 5 years then get married)

I went to an engagement party a few weeks ago for a girl in my class. She finishes her degree next year (i've got two to go, slightly different courses). And she's been with her partner for a year. He's slightly older though, and he's worked full time since he finished school so they can afford it etc.

She keeps telling me how i should have a ring on my finger etc, but im not gonna rush into it and be living on the streets coz i have no cash

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
To me, engagement means that you pretty much start planning the wedding, set a date and everything so people can arrange their lives around it. I don't see the point of getting engaged when you don't have the means to get married. It just seems as though you've been put on lay-by.

Getting married at the registry and having a celebratory barbeque FTW!

Skeeta

HSC
scarybunny said:
Getting married at the registry and having a celebratory barbeque FTW!
we've actually discussed this (i dont know if this comment was directed at me or not)
but married people generally live together
and we cant even afford to RENT a house let alone BUY one!

lala2

Banned
HSC
yeah, one girl in my grade got engaged just before trials and we had a 'who's most likely to...' form to fill out for the yearbook and those in the know (about half our grade didn't know at the time) all wrote down her name in response to 'who's most likely to get married first'. So of course she was the name of honour in our year book :p

As for the thread--nah, too early for me! Haven't even got a bf yet! And there's uni and work to think about, let alone being bogged down with an engagement!

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Skeeta said:
we've actually discussed this (i dont know if this comment was directed at me or not)
but married people generally live together
and we cant even afford to RENT a house let alone BUY one!
Nah it wasn't directed at you, but if poor uni students really HAD to get married it would be the way to go. It'd probably be more fun than running around like a headless chook all day, making sure every tiny detail was right.

Obviously if you've found the right person, you don't need a ring to prove that you think you'll be together forever. Might as well wait until you can afford to move out at least.

As for the thread, I'm not getting engaged or married any time soon. Because I'm poor and immature, and so is my bf.

*hopeful*

HSC
there was a girl in yr 12 when i was in yr 11 who was married and preggers during her hsc....shes probably still at uni now/finished uni

about 3 girls from my class are married....so thats 20/21 yrs old now, 2 are still going on with uni and everything and one dropped out of tafe n atm is a married bum

if they happy together, theres no big deal

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Friend of my cousin is engaged.

She just turned 17

=\

He's like 22.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
Snow Pea! said:
mmk.
well the 2nd time this term someone in my classes has gotten engaged.
shes 18.
so was the other gal.
they are good mates.

anyhoo..

what do you guys think about early engagements? and how many of you have younger mates that are engaged now?

alot of my friends are getting engaged and whatnot.. but i havent even gotten a bf yet :/ haha

so what do you guys think about it all?
I envy people who have early engagements, because...(as I always say)
it's soooooooooo Romantic! Like a dream!

Ennaoj

HSC
I have been with my bf for 3 and a half years and we live together. I don't think there is anything wrong with early engagements because i think it's a maturity thing not an age thing. As for us, a marriage is a public celebration of the love and commitment we already have, and as someone mentioned earlier, is too expensive to get into right now.

With me leaving for uni and him leaving for the military, right now isn't the right time and have decided it would be better after we start making money from our careers.

I'm 19 and he is 21. But age isn't a bother with these things, as long as it's not for show and it's real - early engagement is as real as another other :)

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
i think at the moment my opinion is too bias because im in such an amazingly happy relationship... at the moment id be all for early engagement but if i was single and irate id be totally against it

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
my mates been goin out with his FIRST g.f an he is engaged to her. after less than a year.........none of us can belive it.

for me personally. im way to young an stupid.....im about having a mad time. so engagement isnt a thing atm

alby

cool duckie
HSC
a girl in my class got married a couple of months ago, just after her 20th bday. i think they were together for a while...they got engaged mid last year i think
another girl in my class is getting married at the end of the year..she's early 20's i think, i'm not sure how long they've been together
a friend of mine popped the question to his then gf after about 3 months. i guess it seemed right at the time
my cousin got married in (i think) march. they were together for a good few years. he met her just before he'd planned to go on a big europe trip, he came back for her a couple of weeks into the trip (sweet :)). they did a whole year of travelling together last year. she's preggie now, my uncle worked out that they waited 1.5 weeks after the wedding lol. they're both late 20's

as for me, its my longest relationship, but i havent even been with my current bf for 1.5 years. he's still got 1.5 years of uni, i've got 4.5 years of studying (tafe then uni). we havent really talked about it, but its definitely way too early for either of us, we're both still pretty young (he's 20, i'm 19)

Snow Pea!

Touch it Bring it Pay it
HSC
hmm
well one of my best mates here is 26 and she was married at 19. shes now going through a divorce.
my mum also married (the first time) at 19 and was divorced 2 years later.

but then ive seen people that were engaged and married from a young age and are still together and as happy as ever.
so i guess young engagements can both work and not work. :)

im just waiting for another friend to get engaged now :p

Skeeta

HSC
yeah thats true, both of my boyfriends parents were married young, and got divorced before they met and married so i think they are against the young engagement thing

but my parents met at 15, married at 21ish (and are still together) so they are all for it

confliction ahoy!

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
different people have different dreams and ambitions.

for some people all they want is a family and so i guess thats why they marry young.

some people have been going out with that person for ages and so even though they dont plan on getting married till their 20s want to be engaged to show commitment i guess.

i think being engaged would alter the relationship. its a bit more serious yknow?

i dont plan on getting married anytime soon, and i dont want a 4 year long engagment either, so im not really looking for a serious boyfriend, and hypothetically if i was dating someone and that someone proposed i dont think i would be able to say yes at this stage in my life.

i've got my whole life ahead of me (if that is, i am not killed by unnatural causes, etc etc) and although i want to have a husband and kids im not in a rush.

it depends on peoples perspectives, how long theyve known each other, their dreams, maturity, etc. but imo i wouldnt like an early engagment.

like most other things. its personal preference :p:p

EDIT: pretty sure my dad was 21 when my parents got married. its like 26 years later and theyre still together..

you'll hear stories of young marriages lasting and some not working out. but like i said before it depends on the people.

my mum had been working full time since she was 15 and dad had been working full time for a while as well. so their maturity would be different from those still studying. imo anyway

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)