Eng. St HSC textbook! (1 Viewer)

mdash

HSC
Hi, I need some advice as to which HSC textbook I should buy for the Eng. St course.

I currently own the Introduction to Engineering Mechanics by Schlenker/McKern and Materials Science by Schlenker (these books are literally 30yrs old and have sections covered that are no longer relevant to the syllabus e.g Newton's laws, Bow's notation?)

I hear John Rochford's Eng. St: Student workbook is good, can anyone confirm?

Just need some confidence before I buy :)

Thanks,

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
lol why did you post this in engineering?

there are lots of good guide things around, plenty are being written for belonging area and will come out soon.

mdash

HSC
gibbo153 said:

Why? Lol, too, you misread for English. I am posting for Engineering ><

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
mdash said:
gibbo153 said:

Why? Lol, too, you misread for English. I am posting for Engineering ><
=|

i have no idea what you just said. nice quoting btw

mdash

HSC
Lol yeah, the quoting sucks because I'm not using an actual comp.. Any who, my thread is an engineering one in the engineering section :S I don't see a problem.

iEdd

HSC
I used Copeland for learning stuff, then HSC online and How Stuff Works, Wikipedia as supplements. For class assessments, I used the Excel book to revise. For trials I used Copeland, summarised the whole thing and did questions. Then for the real HSC I did past papers + revised Excel book. Got 97 so something must've worked.

mdash

HSC
Hmm Copeland.. Thanks I'll consider that. Haha yeah I like the supplements

iEdd

HSC
It's basically a case of the syllabus is poorly written and ambiguous, so no resource can cover the whole thing.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
haha yeah i know. the title's the only weird bit.

MoNNiE

HSC
Hi, I need some advice as to which HSC textbook I should buy for the Eng. St course.

I currently own the Introduction to Engineering Mechanics by Schlenker/McKern and Materials Science by Schlenker (these books are literally 30yrs old and have sections covered that are no longer relevant to the syllabus e.g Newton's laws, Bow's notation?)

I hear John Rochford's Eng. St: Student workbook is good, can anyone confirm?

Just need some confidence before I buy :)

Thanks,
You guys are pretty lucky you have alot of publications coming out for engineering studies.

Anyways from experience, those two engineering mechanics and materials books are one of the best around. although they are discusting in looks are still quite good. esp the materials science one very straight forward and easy to understand (which from all the past forum posts in here, alot of people have problems with??)

When i did the course 6-7 years ago the rochford & copeland books had just been released. Both books are good resources - But i prefer rochford more because its more user friendly (though copeland does have alot of information) but you could use rochford for practice examinations.

If you do buy the rochford workbook, make sure you buy the other text that goes with it aswell ( i forgot the title).

Apparently there is also an excel guide for engineering studies that was released after I did the subject - though i'm not too sure if thats any good.

Hope that helps!

Karina92

HSC
yeah, at our school, we're each given the one by Copeland for the yr. i've found it's pretty good for revision but in class we use these other booklets, not sure where from (maybe BOS...or some DET thing)
but our teacher would give us these other really old books but there isn't enough so we get photocopies of the questions. i think it might be the books by Schlenker. they don't go specifically by the syllabus (obviously) but i'd suggest using the info from there but only whats relevant to the syllabus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)