• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

eng ext2 crisis...>< (1 Viewer)

scarlettblanca

HSC
help!:worried: i need opinions i cnt decided whether to drop eng ext2 or jap beginners..apparently ee2 scales higher but the thing is im havin a crisis w/ it.

my idea abt "identifying the Filipino culture" has fallen thru (due to not being able to find a text to base my short story on), and als0 writers block; not having a clear perception of what i want to do and write abt.

ive cum up w/ a new idea that i am mor passionate abt: subverting patriarchy and our society's supposed "gender parity", thru a fragmented short story exploring a matriarchal world.

but i wantd 2 kno is this a total cliche? i was finkn usin women's sexuality and femininity as their power, maib turn it gothic/thrillervampish kinda fing.. but does ne1 hav ne oda ideas on how 2 tweak it so it wouldnt be CLiCHE?

i need opinions/ideas ASAP!

help a fellow HScer in need x]

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
scarlettblanca said:
help!:worried: i need opinions i cnt decided whether to drop eng ext2 or jap beginners..apparently ee2 scales higher but the thing is im havin a crisis w/ it.

my idea abt "identifying the Filipino culture" has fallen thru (due to not being able to find a text to base my short story on), and als0 writers block; not having a clear perception of what i want to do and write abt.

ive cum up w/ a new idea that i am mor passionate abt: subverting patriarchy and our society's supposed "gender parity", thru a fragmented short story exploring a matriarchal world.

but i wantd 2 kno is this a total cliche? i was finkn usin women's sexuality and femininity as their power, maib turn it gothic/thrillervampish kinda fing.. but does ne1 hav ne oda ideas on how 2 tweak it so it wouldnt be CLiCHE?

WHich are you better at?
and also, MOST ideas are cliche... u just have to provide 'original insight'..

My eyes hurt :eek:

slinkysezzy

HSC
Yeah I wouldn't worry about cliche-ness - just focus on making it good so that the examiner doesn't notice. anyway everything's been done before.

scarlettblanca

HSC
well considerin im an english student id say ext2.. n i screwed my 1st jap assessmnt.. im currently doin: 4ueng, anc histotry, history ext, studies of religion, bi0 n jaP
im kinda not sure whether i shood drop down to 11units or 1o..wat do u fink?

nichhhole

HSC
scarlettblanca said:
well considerin im an english student id say ext2.. n i screwed my 1st jap assessmnt.. im currently doin: 4ueng, anc histotry, history ext, studies of religion, bi0 n jaP
im kinda not sure whether i shood drop down to 11units or 1o..wat do u fink?
yeah, considering your other subjects, i'd say you'd lean more towards english..[though your spelling suggests otherwise? :)]
Would you be confident with 2 major works? The P.I.P takes up alot of time as well...
and the number of units you should have is dependant on the kind of person you are.
With me for example, i was always very headstrong about having as many units as i could handle [as a form of security]... but then after reflection, i realized that 14 units just wasnt realistic...
If you are able to perfect those 10 units, it could pay off...
but if you have the propensity to make mistakes [as i do..] then the more the better?

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
well my dear friend scarlett who i ran around with all freebie trying to convince to drop jap and keep ext 2, honestly what do you think i'm going to say other than DO NOT DROP EXT 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

no seriously, i think that cos jap takes up so much of your time ( in terms of offline school hours) it would work in your favour to drop it. BUT then comes the problem, you'll be left with only 10 units, and what if ext 2 falls in? then you're screwed, and if ext 1, at the rate we're going, falls in too, then you're super uper duper screwed over.

not being pessimistic or anything just putting the reality up there, now some potential ways of solving this dilemma:
- drop jap and have what is it...5-6 hrs a week extra to spend on english? and seeing as you and i spend all our time on english ANYWAY this will only give you MORE time
- but apparently 10 units scales you down, yet 3 extensions will scale you up, plus advanced english plus ancient plus religion, i dont think the 10u thing will be a big deal
- i think you can come up with an idea for ext 2, seriously, it's amazing what pressure can do for you. remember that "writing" booklet thing i gave you? try that in your now jap free time.

life's all about risk! take the plunge and drop jap (woops i wrote maths before lol) it's only holding you down ( in my humble opinion)
but if you honestly want a back up then keep em all and drop later when you're more certain, talk to ms lees about jap and see how you go in ther assessments. remember it's only early days yet!

nichhhole

HSC
ahen said:
- but apparently 10 units scales you down, yet 3 extensions will scale you up, plus advanced english plus ancient plus religion, i dont think the 10u thing will be a big deal
-

I dont think that's true?
about the whole '10 units' thing...
If you're referring to thestatistics from bos.edu, the people more inclined to get 100 or 95+ are doing 13 units, because people who get those kind of marks, generally put in alot more work than the average person, and thus would put more time into their units, regardless of how many they happen to do. They're probably, just doing that many units because they're good at all of their subjects and do not know which to drop and are able to cope with them all..
Lazy, apathetic people who arent the strongest of students, will do better with less units. You cannot say that by doing 13 units tehy will be 'scaled' up...
rather they'd be more likely to go worse because they'd have to diversify their time over more subjects...

If you cannot cope with the units, do not do them. 3 extensions will not 'scale you up' if you do not get > average.

Last edited:

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
I'd help, but I can't read your first post - I only see a horribly bad collection of letters, some resembling words, others not.

So based on that, I'd say keep Japanese, because you seem to not be able to do English very well.

(Yes, I am angry tonight.)

nichhhole

HSC
bringbackshred said:
I'd help, but I can't read your first post - I only see a horribly bad collection of letters, some resembling words, others not.

So based on that, I'd say keep Japanese, because you seem to not be able to do English very well.

bbs, ru blynd? wtf! how can yew not c? iznt 't clEAR wyat iz wridden?
yew jus' go2 get wiv da speak man! ftw. qft.!
luv yooh loooooooooooooooooooooong tym ;p

nichhhole

HSC
nichhhole said:
yeah, considering your other subjects, i'd say you'd lean more towards english..[though your spelling suggests otherwise? :)]

hahah. i conceed.
[new level of narcissm? quoting myself...]

scarlettblanca

HSC
Geez... what world are you living in... Certainly not the one with the Internet and Msn messenger... No "spelling mistakes" am I coherent enough?

No you are not narcissistic, you had a very valid point, thank you! =]

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
bringbackshred said:

excuse me mr " i'm angry so i have an excuse to diss others" but scarlett here happens to be a VERY capable english student, i know cos i've seen her work, she came equal 2nd with me in yr 10 and came 7th in yr 11 and we don't go to some derro school like james meehan or anything , we go to a SELECTIVE SCHOOL, we have HIGH STANDARDS, ok so maybe she shouldn't have used "msn speak" but geez just say so no need to get all bitchy about it.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
ahen said:
excuse me mr " i'm angry so i have an excuse to diss others" but scarlett here happens to be a VERY capable english student, i know cos i've seen her work, she came equal 2nd with me in yr 10 and came 7th in yr 11 and we don't go to some derro school like james meehan or anything , we go to a SELECTIVE SCHOOL, we have HIGH STANDARDS, ok so maybe she shouldn't have used "msn speak" but geez just say so no need to get all bitchy about it.
Lol.

Just because you go to a selective school doesn't give you the right to tell me that you're better than me.

And obviously your selective school never taught you the art of humour.

nichhhole

HSC
ahen said:

Partially selective...
And i know kids from your school..
dont be offended by BBS, he means no harm...:)
we just both get irritated when we see this so called 'msn speak' in the English extension two forum...
He's generally quite nice..GENERALLY :p
jk...

Last edited:

nichhhole

HSC
LottoX said:
I went to a selective school. We got English Extension II marks in the 20s-30s, but then there were a lot of 45-49s. Nobody got 50 =(

Yes, Macquarie Fields is a Selective school, but by no means, does that guarantee you good marks.

How do they say? 'pwned'

:)

HSC
N/A
*rubs eyes after going through thread*

So um, what are we talking about again? :p

As a general point, the clearer you can come across, the easier it is for people to respond to you :) (and by this I do assume I'm not the only one here who cannot stand netspeak, lol)

I'm struggling a bit to read the OP's post but for now I would actually suggest you pull through with both for a while - you can ALWAYS drop one later, but it will be hard to pick it up again. Additionally it is not unusual for people to go through a period of "omg what am I going to do?" around this time. What's important is that you do start at all, and go from there :) By all means drop EE2 if you don't like it, but don't drop it because you haven't even started it properly yet! lol

I don't know whether it's just the course or the candidature but the approach to EE2 seems to have changed since my year. So many people here seem to be starting off with things they want to achieve - (insert various multi-syllable words here) whereas I was taught to start with something more simple. A feeling. An inspiration. A character.

Naturally I don't force anyone to take my advice (and you are more than welcome to dismiss my opinion is outdated :p) however instead of trying to think about any "grand" effect I would start with something simple. What characters will you use? What are their names? What are they like? What is the plot like? Start writing it out - when all is said and done it's actually the 'simple' things like this that form the foundation of a story. From this, you will be able to tweak and twist things as you need to... but it is pointless to worry about whether something will "work" if you haven't even tried it yet, in my opinion :)

HSC
scarlettblanca said:

My personal opinion is that doing a langauge, even beginners, is very time consuming but worth it if you are willing to put in say an extra hour every day study apart from your classes.

If you're doing japanese by correspondance than pick ext2. IMO.

As far as cliche goes...well first of all, no offense, but it's difficult to judge your english skills when you post like that. The most important thing is good english skills; a clear, linear story, written with excellent grammer and spelling etc will get you 38+ because so many people seem to send in stories they've written the night before, or stories their english teachers have never laid eyes on.
'Women's femininity and sexuality as their power'- if you can write an interesting story about that, go for it. But if you can't, if at the end it is not first and foremost an interesting and absorbing story, then no matter how good your underlying concept is, you won't get the top marks.

(BTW I got 48 for my major work and I loved every second of ext 2 so I may be a tiny bit biased. :) )

ninoshka

HSC
scarlettblanca said:

every idea has essentially already been done, there isnt really any new ideas, its just the way you go about it, your plot and your characters. if you can make them memorable, then the story will work. A heavy workload does weigh down on you though, I dropped physics because it was always on the back of my mind... If any subject is a burden it wont be enjoyable, and you probably wont get the marks. - So you are better off dropping subjects which you aren't committed to. Having said that, extn II should be more of a break away from the content based subjects, well it is for me at least. - Its a nice time to just play with the imagination, - you can write about whatever you want! Your idea doesnt seem too cliche, the womans sexuality thing is a very prominent issue and I think you could do alot with it... just be open to new ideas i guess. ive changed my major 13200000 times already! thats just the way it works i guess.... stick with it if its something that you enjoy though... and good luck! :D

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
lol yes yes i was not saying that just because we go to a selective school ( macfields especially *cough*) that instantly garuntees great marks, far from it. Sorry didn't realise you were joking around but my friend got kind of annoyed at the comments is all.
Just for the record i too hate netspeak and use full words even on msn, before anyone decides to pounce on me regarding that or whatever.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)