ENG EXT OR HISTORY EXT (1 Viewer)

i physically cannot

HSC
Im in yr 11 and am looking to either continue with eng ext or take up history ext next year but im not sure which one would be better. My main criteria I am looking at is with regards to which subject scales better. It would be appreciated if anyone who has experience with either subject could tell me the pros and cons of each.

howcanibesmarter

HSC
yea eng ext 1 scales better, so u might wanna do that since it seems like you're purely going off on scaling.

just go with whichever one ur stronger at, its better to do a subject ur acutally strong at than a subject that scales well but ur bad at

kingpalindrome

HSC
I was in your situation last year, ended up doing both (11 units now, dropped a second 2 unit subject). Personally I enjoy extension history a lot more, but in terms of work it's a lot harder than extension 1. If you're wanting to do well marks-wise, I'd recommend choosing ext 1, but if you want to be challenged and push yourself to new academic levels, history extension is the way to go. Or do both, I enjoy it!

HSCya1234567

HSC
Im in yr 11 and am looking to either continue with eng ext or take up history ext next year but im not sure which one would be better. My main criteria I am looking at is with regards to which subject scales better. It would be appreciated if anyone who has experience with either subject could tell me the pros and cons of each.
not sure whether its like this at your school, but at mine, all the ext subjects didnt have an exam term 1 of year 12 so you could pick both, see what you think and then drop one?

band6yesplease

HSC
ok thanks i might consider taking both and then dropping one later
I do both as well - English is much easier than History Extension because History is like 3 units in one it's nuts.
It's really challenging and with your Major Project, you should be working on it from your first couple of lessons (we did at my school anyway) so by the time you get to term 2 you'll probably find that your marks in English are better, but you've put more effort into Hist.
So like everyone said it's all about you but keep in mind that's still a whole lot of extra work that you're doing in Term 1 (when every other subject still has assessments) when your mindset is that you're gonna drop one so it might disadvantage you..
Good luck!!!

raspberriesandpears

HSC
i do both english extension 1 and history extension for year 12 so i might be able to offer some tips :)
i agree with carrotsss in that it might be beneficial to at least start both of them and then see
in my experience, although history ext is a lot of work during the major work (writing a full 2500 word fully researched essay + still learning content + all your other subjects) it gets a lot less stressful during the end of the unit when you're just learning content, because most of the content is applicable across both essays and also you can use your major work content if you're smart about it (i.e. i wrote my major work on plutarch, i wrote about plutarch in the trial because one of the sources was about biography)
with history extension you could feasibly get away with - for the whole essay - knowing seven historians bare minimum (purpose, methodology, one or two quotes), whereas english extension you have to (obviously) memorise a bunch of quotes and consider all syllabus dot points, including studying two related texts yourself
totally up to you, but my tldr would be - history extension is more out of class work, especially in the first two terms wherein it becomes pretty much a 2u subject, however the actual exam is quite easy imo and doesn't take too much brainpower - you can adapt most historians to suit most questions
whereas english extension 2 is a bit of a wildcard with exams - you can get essay questions that are quite hard and quite specific to certain syllabus points (unity, justice, restoration, solace, etc), plus literary worlds is mod c on steroids
so i would say if you're better at out of class work/if you want less stress around hsc and trials - history
if you are okay with exams and you want a more consistent schedule - english
again though, there is no wrong answer and this is all just my experience :)

also one more thing would be that history extension is very different from modern or ancient - it focuses on historiography, or the creation of history, rather than the events themselves - i.e. why would a historian with these views write this history
you may already know that but it's certainly something to consider if you didn't

i physically cannot

HSC
I do both as well - English is much easier than History Extension because History is like 3 units in one it's nuts.
It's really challenging and with your Major Project, you should be working on it from your first couple of lessons (we did at my school anyway) so by the time you get to term 2 you'll probably find that your marks in English are better, but you've put more effort into Hist.
So like everyone said it's all about you but keep in mind that's still a whole lot of extra work that you're doing in Term 1 (when every other subject still has assessments) when your mindset is that you're gonna drop one so it might disadvantage you..
Good luck!!!
oh what i've heard a few seniors from my school saying that history extension is a lot easier than english ext

i physically cannot

HSC
i do both english extension 1 and history extension for year 12 so i might be able to offer some tips :)
i agree with carrotsss in that it might be beneficial to at least start both of them and then see
in my experience, although history ext is a lot of work during the major work (writing a full 2500 word fully researched essay + still learning content + all your other subjects) it gets a lot less stressful during the end of the unit when you're just learning content, because most of the content is applicable across both essays and also you can use your major work content if you're smart about it (i.e. i wrote my major work on plutarch, i wrote about plutarch in the trial because one of the sources was about biography)
with history extension you could feasibly get away with - for the whole essay - knowing seven historians bare minimum (purpose, methodology, one or two quotes), whereas english extension you have to (obviously) memorise a bunch of quotes and consider all syllabus dot points, including studying two related texts yourself
totally up to you, but my tldr would be - history extension is more out of class work, especially in the first two terms wherein it becomes pretty much a 2u subject, however the actual exam is quite easy imo and doesn't take too much brainpower - you can adapt most historians to suit most questions
whereas english extension 2 is a bit of a wildcard with exams - you can get essay questions that are quite hard and quite specific to certain syllabus points (unity, justice, restoration, solace, etc), plus literary worlds is mod c on steroids
so i would say if you're better at out of class work/if you want less stress around hsc and trials - history
if you are okay with exams and you want a more consistent schedule - english
again though, there is no wrong answer and this is all just my experience :)

also one more thing would be that history extension is very different from modern or ancient - it focuses on historiography, or the creation of history, rather than the events themselves - i.e. why would a historian with these views write this history
you may already know that but it's certainly something to consider if you didn't
thank you so much. I totally agree with the part about english being a wild card cos at my school the marking for english is really wierd and your marks pretty much depend on what teacher is marking the work and whether you get lucky with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)