Energy Systems (1 Viewer)

Kutay

University
HSC
Hey i was wondering what the answer would be to this question and meant to be a half page response i have an idea and done it but want to clarify it to make sure i am right thankyou

'You are doing a 5km run, what energy systems do you use and where.?'

aimstar555

HSC
ok, here's my VERY BREIF notes on all the systems (used as my hsc notes) including a bit of an assignment that i did comapring a sprinter to a marathon runner, which i got 9.5/10 for (shame it was only worth 10% :(

what your mainly looking at is the aerobic energy system, which is the only one that uses oxygen, cause of it's duration. but to be honest, the athlete would be using abit more of the other systems for different parts of the race (eg, the last 10 seconds to the finish line, hence using the ATP/PC system)

there's HEAPS more i could tell you, but i honestly can't remember everything :(

if u want, u can email me ya anwer and i'll hava quick look. FINALLY i'll beat withoutwings in helping the wonderful people that do pdh!!!

Cab31

HSC
OK a 5km Run would have to be about 30 mins in duration for a decent runner. The energy system which would be used as the race begins (perhaps an early surge) would be the lactic acid system. This would stay like that for a minute or so before the aerobic system is needed to kick in and is used for most of the race. Towards the end, the ATP/PC system and Lactic acid system would both be used for a sprint finish. during the race, distance runners make surges, so the ATP/PC system and Lactic acid system would be used for short periods throughout the race. Remember that the systems all cross over, there is not one system that is the only one used in this situation.

Check out this link that will help you:

http://hsc.csu.edu.au/pdhpe/core2/performance/4-1/4.1.1Energy_Systems.html

Last edited:

bek...

HSC
what wld it be if it was a 30km walk??.. whats the predominant energy system??..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)