Energy systems required for 400m sprint? (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
In my assessment, we have to make a:
Clear and concise description of the sport/player position in terms of the energy requirements
I have chosen a 400m sprinter.
Now, what I'm thinking is, the primary energy system used is the lactic acid system, because it provides 10-30 seconds of energy and activity can last for up to 2 minutes. Does the ATP/PC system get used for the start of it?
Sorry I'm really confused. I understand how each individual system works, but not how they function together
Any help would be great
cheers

stazi

Nightman
HSC
thanks heaps thats what I thought.
So does the ATP regenerate towards the end of the race for the final sprint?
And just to make sure, the athlete consciously switches the energy sytem he/she uses?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I don't understand why the athlete can't change energy system though. If the athlete first breaks off the blocks and sprints, he/she can then slow down to a pace which will use the lactic system?
I'm thinking of a highly trained athlete, lets say Cathy Freeman.
Thanks again.

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
it would be very hard in 400m for the atppc to restore even a little bit during a race. if this was possible, the athlete must be extremely fit.

TheKing

Yes the ATP-PC system does replenish very quickly but only when the body is at rest, there is no reason why the body would try to replenish its stores during excercise.

By the way the following information is just from my memory and the numbers may not be exactly correct but the theory behind should be right, i did this topic ages ago.

At professional level a 400m run takes say 1-2mins and after the first 10-20secs of excercise most of the ATP-PC stores in your body have depleted and so the body starts producing energy anaerobically without the help of Phospho creatines.(Lactate system). It takes the body approx. 5mins of excercise before it uses ATP aerobically (respiration). And then after that there is the aerobic threshold? where the can't produce enough energy aerobically and uses the latate system to boost it.

bascially this way i understand it is that your body requires a certain ammount of energy and as one system depletes the next comes in the keep up to flow. for example: your running along a flat road (requiring 100kJ of energy), and for the first few seconds your using the phosphate system and as it depletes (giving only 50kJ) the body says "fuck where am i going to get the rest of the energy" and begins using the latate system to add the extra 50kJ to keep on running at same intersity etc... and as the lactate energy output decreases it goes into the aerobic system.

hopefully i'm right but it was like the first topic we did.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
thanks for your help guys :)
ill no doubt be back to ask more questions the further i get into this assessment.
If anyone needs any help on sports medicine ask me, because we did that option before we did any core topics

ta*

energy systems

can you help me with energy sytems now? what energy sytems would you use most for basketball? i know you use all three. atp-pc for shooting and aerobic for always running. but wot would be the one that is most in use? and what would you use anareobic for?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
does anyone know aprox how much energy is burned during a 400m event?

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
you dont need to know that for pdhpe, its not in the syllabus, ill doubt you will get extra marks for including this.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
thanks withoutwings.
Also, I'm going to attach my answer to the first part of the assessment. I'd appreciate if you or anyone else can look through and give me some pointers. Its supposed to be one page long exactly for this section, and its only about 3/4 of a page.
The question and marking criteria is on the top

TheKing

The human body only has 90g of ATP available.
not exactly correct, it all depends on level of training etc....

. In this system, lactic acid is the source of energy.
uh lactic acid is the by product of the lactate systems, the process in also known as anaerobic glycolysis. That is, the body breaks down glucose (or is it glycogen?) without oxygen to produce energy( in the form of ATP). lactic acid is the by product, not the source of energy, although it is energy dense the body cannot utilise it and is broken down into pyruvic acid etc.... but not until the recovery stage where the "lactic sinks" (slow twitch fibres e.g quads) in the body soak it up etc...

can't be bothered readin through the rest its gettin late and you should really be doing most of the work yourself if you want to do weel

stazi

Nightman
HSC
thx theking. It was late and i wasn't thinking straight. Boy, did I look silly saying lactic acid is the source of energy :p
Its glycogen.
As for the 90g thing yeah, it should be human body has approximately 90g of ATP available (that's what it said in my textbook.

I'm trying to do most of the work myself but would like people to give me some pointers and I really need the marks as I was unfairly marked for my first assessment and am trying to make the lost marks up. This is an HSC-help forum.

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by TheKing

At professional level a 400m run takes say 1-2mins
what? the world record is 43 seconds.... most proffesional can do it in 44-45 seconds

TheKing

and also the pe bored is kinda quiet....
we should stir up some more questions and ideas.

Collin

HSC
N/A
It's important to also realise that the aerobic energy system has an overlap equilibrium status at around 60% intensity, which then results in the general concensus that aerobic 'starts' at that intensity, which is technically incorrect. Aerobic occurs for even activities such as walking, but this is usually neglected by exercise physiologists in descriptions due to the fact that the activity of the aerobic system at such intensities are negligible, compared to say the threshold of 60% MHR. Similarly, the activity of aerobic begins to falter in magnitude above 60%. For example, during the perceived highest peak of aerobic activity during 60% MHR, a whopping 85/10/5 ratio of fat/carbohydrates/protein burn ratio is achieved. When sprinting at 90% MHR, after the initial phase of ATP usage (I mentioned this as a control), the ratio reduces down 10/90/<1, which the significant point being that the aerobic energy system is still present, but just at a lower presence.

TheKing

um.... that is really complicated, it took like 2 reads to understand....
what website u get it from?

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
because he didnt do the subject...ie he doesnt know the syllabus...that was copy paste but....noticed how it says he metioned atp usage as a control, but he doesnt metion control anywhere else in that post

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by mr_speedy
because he didnt do the subject...ie he doesnt know the syllabus...that was copy paste but....noticed how it says he metioned atp usage as a control, but he doesnt metion control anywhere else in that post
And where did I copy and paste that from mr_speedy? If you're going to make such assumptions, then back it up.

The mentioning of the control is to emphasise that the consumption ratio reaches a certain equilibrium over time, and not immediately. Hence my post would of been completely incorrect if I designated the 10/90/<1 percentage as soon as the sprint began. The control mentioned refers to the general experimental method used to control external variables, in this case the ramifications the measurement of the ratio would of had on the validity of the actual measurement if it was taken right at the sprint start, as opposed to a short time later where the ratio was allowed to equilibrium. A similar concept would be to record the ratio too early for the aerobic stage, in which then an inaccurate ratio would be read. (I.e fat percentage lower than the value at equilibrium).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)