Employment Opportunities for Law (1 Viewer)

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
im a current year 12 student and was previously interested in taking a law / media and communications double degree. but the more i think about it, the more i think i dont want to be a solicitor or barrister, but would rather try and get into government sort of stuff, like writing policy,international relations, or move into the journalism side of things and do stuff like pr.

if i decide to take this career path, is it still worth taking the law degree? will it help me any? or does the law degree train only to practice some degree of law? does anybody have any suggestions of courses at uow, anu or sydney unis that would best cater for what i want to do??

santaslayer

HSC
Most politicians have a law degree. :uhhuh:

For UoW, maybe anything arts (journalism?)/communications-ish is a good combo for law. :) Marketing sounds ok too.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Ms 12 said:
Actually, most politicians don't.
But a fair few do.

Of the front bench of the Liberal party. Costello, Howard, Coonan, Ruddock, Robert Hill, Vandstone and Bishop all have LLBs.

Morris Iemma has a law degree.

Julia Gillard, Robert McClellend, Nicola Roxon all have LLB's in the ALP. Plus many more.

Last edited:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I think you'll find that most the newer ones don't.....because those with law degrees can find far more lucrative salaries AWAY from politics.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Ms 12 said:
I think you'll find that most the newer ones don't.....because those with law degrees can find far more lucrative salaries AWAY from politics.
Yeah true. It just depends. Some do and some dont.

BillytheFIsh

HSC
My general advice to people is if you don't want to be a solicitor/barrister or work in a government position that requires a law degree then it's probably not worth doing a whole degree.

A little bit of law is helpful in everything, but the detail and refining of skills that happens in a degree simply isn't necessary unless those are the skills you're constantly going to be using in your career.

Jonathan A

HSC
I agree. Many degrees already have relevant law-related areas for students to look at. If you do take on a professional-type degree, generally a law unit (such as Commercial Law) will be taught or ethics.

I often say, if you are not interested in law, don't hog up a space where someone with a lower UAI really wants to be a practitioner. Up to you. But a law degree shouldn't be an add-on someone does because it sounds nice.

Jonathan A

HSC
Ms 12 said:
Actually, most politicians don't.

I would have to agree. A lot of politicians don't have law degrees (explains some of the reasons why some are ambitious in setting out incoherent law - e.g. Civil Liability Act).

capa

HSC
A law degree is also a generalist degree - some people think moreso than arts while also providing with more solid career options. I have read afew times that a law degree provides various job opportunities, and, law graduates have the widest choice of careers.

You should not confine yourself to being a lawyer. You can do lots of things and many law graduates don't do anything legal. For instance, you can do:
- government sector (ie: defence, attorney general, DFAT, DP&C, DPM&C and other statutory bodies). Most government depts seek law graduates for generalist streams.
- teaching: secondary and tertiary
- law reform, research and academia
- journalism
- management consulting
- generalist business careers
- merchant banking

Good luck.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Jonathan A said:
I would have to agree. A lot of politicians don't have law degrees (explains some of the reasons why some are ambitious in setting out incoherent law - e.g. Civil Liability Act).
Are you sure? Your conservative friends love the CLA.

BillytheFIsh

HSC
capa said:
A law degree is also a generalist degree - some people think moreso than arts while also providing with more solid career options. I have read afew times that a law degree provides various job opportunities, and, law graduates have the widest choice of careers.

You should not confine yourself to being a lawyer. You can do lots of things and many law graduates don't do anything legal. For instance, you can do:
- government sector (ie: defence, attorney general, DFAT, DP&C, DPM&C and other statutory bodies). Most government depts seek law graduates for generalist streams.
- teaching: secondary and tertiary
- law reform, research and academia
- journalism
- management consulting
- generalist business careers
- merchant banking

Good luck.
Yeah, but if you wanted to do any of these things that don't involve anything legal there are quicker and easier ways to get there than by doing a law degree. An entire law degree is a bit overkill.

heidi_kak

HSC
yeah, because you really need a law degree to become a primary school teacher lol.
but for the other things i still think it would give you an edge. although you might just be better off doing a shorter degree to get you into the workforce earlier and build up experience. maybe do a law degree part time or something if you really want to.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I would agree that law has indeed become a generalist degree, but no way is it as general as arts!

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
so maybe i should look at journalism / arts?? i put them both down in my preferences.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Dont do law unless you actually want to do law. By third year some people are tried of it but they continue on because they have come so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)