Emma/Clueless: transformations (1 Viewer)

lm1122

HSC
Ummm...do you think it actually matters that i haven't read Emma yet (oh, by the way my trials start tomorrow! oops). What is was really wondering is do u think its easy enough to bs my way through it (i bought one of those excel books too...haven't read that one either...). It's not coz I'm lazy! Really it's not! I mean, I am doing 14 units....... ok, ok - i'm lazy.....

~Dreamer

HSC
i gt my cousins summery notes!! and u have to compare it to clueless, so she is the mirror image of cher from clueless set in a different era...

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
OMG, is this me talking?? (no mocking intended)

I am doing 14 units as well... and really, haven't read Emma.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
I dont blame you for not reading it. I literally fell asleep while i was reading it. I'd go through the study guides and summaries on the 'net. I dont think I know ANYONE whos actually read the damn thing in full.

Jinglebell

HSC
i actually read it...and quite enjoyed it actually, but then i am a confessed geek who absolutely adores austen's work:) i think if oyu weren't going to read it you'd need a really good summary, coz there's a lot of subtle similarities and differences...and i'd at least make the effort to read chapter one, or even just the first couple of pages, just to get an idea of the style and whatever...and also you can get some good comparison points from the beginning.

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
i read it over abt two weeks but there was no pnt cause everyday i kept forgetting what happened a couple of pgs before..so ive read it but i dun remember ne of it

malayz_angel

Yeah I finished reading Emma, I actually quite like Austen's work though, like Jinglebell. I admit that she does tend to drag on a bit, but for a romantic soul like me, its all worth it lol. Actually my friend postponed reading it for the longest time and she finally liked it in the end.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
I remember when I read Emma last year, I couldn't rememer much of it, even a couple of weeks after I'd read it. So know your plot, themes, characters, setting, etc. Know what you're going to draw comparison between. Then learn relevant quotes which illustrate what you are trying to say. If possible, have a corresponding quote from the movie as well. Don't learn pages of quotes you're not going to use.

kkiinnggyyoo

I know a few people who've read it an enjoyed it.... I honestly think it's kinda boring. But if u don't wanna read it watch the movie (emma)it's good to get a general idea. and I found that the excel book on emma/clueless was more of what techniques were used etc. I've got a book 'cliffs notes' it is called and it's really good. got a good chapter summary and what characters are in etc.....

Jinglebell

HSC
if you were going to watch a movie version, i'd recommend the one with kate beckinsale, not gwyneth paltrow...much truer to the novel.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
well i would recommend that you read it before the HSC exam because if you read it you might remember a really good quote that will relate to the question rather than a generic one everyone uses (how many times are markers going to read the 'handsome, clever, rich with a comfortable home and happy disposition'?), and you'll understand what you're saying better too.

all4jesus

so many of my friends have actually read it!!!i can't believe they were actually said they were enjoying the novel...>.<i started reading but didn't get too far....middle of da book maybe??hehei think good summaries r ok

Starlette

HSC
Dont worry if you havent read it because I havent I did okay in two of my assessments.
Just talk about values, they are really important. It distinguishes the the A from the B's.
Also if you are really desperate watch the BBC version heaps of people reccomend it.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
it took me ages to read, but reading it will probablh help u more

Canoodle

Loves it
HSC
i neever read it but ive discussed it in class and thats all the knowledge i have, lets see how that fares me in my results :S

Cathie

*raises hand* Here's another who hasn't read it yet!

I got to about chapter thirteen and gave up. It was just.. ugh. Not my style. I know alot of people who love it, but you know. To each their own.

I'll finish it before the HSC - as for my trial exam though, which is tomorrow, I'll be going off what I *have* read, and summary notes. I wonder how I'll go....

Hiya_la

issues? values?

wats the difference between the issues and values of emma and clueless?

like marriage..value?
is it really valued in the 20th century context?
relationships?...valued?..
wat about self growth...thats the issue....but which value does it pertain to?

really confused
argh!!!!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Hiya_la
wats the difference between the issues and values of emma and clueless?

like marriage..value?
is it really valued in the 20th century context?
relationships?...valued?..
wat about self growth...thats the issue....but which value does it pertain to?

really confused
argh!!!!
yeah thats right
umm maybe the value of individual integrity or something like that
i suppose some issues could be values.. in a way, or they could relate like um.. position of females and patriarchal society

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)