Elliott Smith (1 Viewer)

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
I'm not that big a fan but he seems to be known a bit here on ther board so let's discuss:

Favourite album: Either/Or. By far. Followed by Figure 8>FABOTH>XO. Don't care too much for the rest.

Favourite songs: Speed Trials, Son of Sam, Tomorrow Tomorrow, A Fond Farewell

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Favourite album:
Either/Or > Roman Candle > S/t > XO > FABOTH > Figure 8

Favourite songs: Condor Ave, No name #1, Alameda, Clementine, The Biggest Lie, Say Yes, Kings Crossing

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
either/or, Figure 8, s/t, XO, FABOTH, Roman Candle
I think. It's kinda hard to choose.

Favourite songs: Independence day, Junk bond trader, Between the bars, King's crossing, Needle in the hay, Waltz #2

walrusbear

HSC
either/or>xo>figure 8>self-titled>roman candle ... haven't heard the last one

songs:
speed trials (most of either/or really), southern belle, needle in the hay, waltz #1 and #2, st. ides heaven

esquared

HSC
this dude is my fave singer songwriter ever
either/or > self-titled > xo > faboth > figure 8 > roman candle

but its so hard to tell. and fave songs? ha! i'll try...

the biggest lie, speed trials, pitseleh, waltz #2, i figured you out, king's crossing, i better be quiet now, miss misery, twilight, angeles, abused, colored bars, shit there are toooooo many and tomorrow i will probably think that list is way out.

nwatts

HSC
hmm, either/or > elliott smith > XO > roman candle > from a basement on the hill > figure 8

my favourites: amity, alphabet town, no name no.5, say yes, i didn't understand, pictures of me, a distorted reality is a necessity to be free, last call, needle in the hay.

figure 8 would be the only album of his i don't like/don't listen to a lot of.

daledugahole

HSC
I must admit I only have From a Basement on the Hill but I really want to get some more of his stuff. I only recently discovered his music (nicked the album from my sister). A Fond Farewell is my favourite song on the album.

Shaking Paper

HSC
My favourite artist.

Favourite Albums: Self-Titled, Roman Candle
Favourite Songs: Alphabet Town, Condor Ave, Placeholder, Pitseleh, The White Lady Loves You More, Little One, Needle In The Hay, Between the Bars, and the rest.

Espo15

Banned
HSC
N/A
definitely my favourite singer/songwriter

i cant really pick favourite songs/albums because it changes all the time but um, at the moment ive been listening to punch & judy, shooting star, see you later, alameda, coming up roses, pretty (ugly before).

but yea pretty much the only artist that i can listen to virtually their entire discography without wanting to skip tracks etc.

acrimonioustouc

HSC
definetly one of my favourite artists

favourite album XO, but i love them all dearly,
favourite song Baby Britain, but then there are about 20 that come secnd to it.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I fell in love with 'The Biggest Lie' and then proceeded to fall in love with Elliott, though he comes in second to my beloved Jeff Buckley. Favourite album is FABOTH but I own most.

esquared

HSC
im fast becoming more and more assured of the fact that "king's crossing" is the fulfillment of everything that Figure 8, the rest of Basement, and the more heavily orchestrated songs of XO promised.

AMAZING SONG
seriously just listen to all the different sounds going on in that song.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
I've had Either/Or on vinyl for a while now, dug it out the other day. It's fantastic

King's Crossing is my favourite behind Coast to Coast on Basement

Last edited:

Espo15

Banned
HSC
N/A
definitely agree on kings crossing best song on the album, kind of depressing too. makes you think how people didn't see suicide coming?

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Wait, I thought the whole thing is still up in the air? They still can't make a conclusion between possible murder or suicide?

Well, if it was suicide, then hell. A knife to the heart. What a way.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Whoa, I've never seen this thread before.

A friend got me into Eliott Smith's music with the song "I better be quiet now". His voice is so delicate so I love the songs that are more upbeat too like "Baby Britain" and "A Living Will".

I make people listen to clips and everyone tells me that he sounds like the Beatles...

I didn't know that he was dead until a few months after I started listening to the music. I went to a site and was like :eek: :( :( :(

walrusbear

HSC
From A Basement On The Hill

so i finally got this album last week (i know, i'm two years late)
anyways, i was fairly underwhelmed considering the praise it gets from places (eg. this thread). what am i missing?
coast to coast and king's crossing are obvious strong songs
twilight is likable, ditto memory lane

it seems much less coherent than other albums (even than the underwhelming but sprawling Figure 8). and i know he died before its completion, so it's an expected criticism, but i think it really shows. seems incomplete. i reckon this ranks as his 2nd worst (i like it more than roman candle)

Megan5

HSC
Favourite album would have to be Either/Or with my favourite songs being Angeles, Between the Bars, Fond Farewell and Miss Misery.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)