Eligibility for the MRBS? (1 Viewer)

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
I apologise in advance if this is a dumb question, but I've honestly tried to find a clear answer!

To apply for the MRB scholarship, do you have to be in a BMP or CSP? Or does it not matter which?

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
to be able to get offered the MRBS, you have to obtain a CSP first.
Also to even be offered the MRBS you'd have to apply for it first (usually directly to the medschool of choice)

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
So if you get a bonded place, you can't go for it?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
a bonded position is where you scrape into med school and the government tells you where to go without reimbrsing you other than your salary...hence it doesnt make sense that you'd be able to apply for a scholarship where you choose where to go and be paid for it at the same time.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Scholarships are offered to the highest candidates on the selection schedule, because most people are interested in free money - even if there are strings attached.

BMPs however, don't have any benefits beyond a place in medicine. They are far less popular, and hence are never taken in preference to CSPs. Thus BMPs go to the lower end of the selection schedule. Nevertheless, BMP fillers are still succesful in gaining entry, and are no different to other med students until they take up their places in rural, remote or "area of need" positions.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
if u get bonded i recommend doing a john flynn scholarship..
IMO they show u how good "areas or need"/rural realli is..

if u get BMP its ok.. Its just more restricting than CSP.. other students will learn to get over their egos once u get working and show them ure stuff..
cos lik the start of med school is 5-6 yrs too far to judge who will be good and who not!?

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
Thanks so much for clearing that up for me!

Even though I'm 100% certain I'd work in a rural area (you couldn't pay me enough to work in the city!), it seems better to go for the CSP - but bonded wouldn't bother me at all. Can you list both in preferences?

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
Yes? I'm just wondering when putting in your preferences, can you put them both (as 1 and 2) or can you only list the CSP and then they offer you the BMP if you don't make that cut?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
you can't apply for a BMP. It's enforced upon you if you scrape into med school. This is unlike the MRBS where you get into med school and have to sumbit a separate application afterwards, which is assessed on the basis of an interview and written essay.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
inasero said:
you can't apply for a BMP. It's enforced upon you if you scrape into med school. This is unlike the MRBS where you get into med school and have to sumbit a separate application afterwards, which is assessed on the basis of an interview and written essay.
Actually you can sort of - for UNSW you have to list CSP, workforce shortage bonded and rural bonded as preferences (or exclude any you dont want, a lot of people apparently dont put BMPs in their prefs and thus don't get an offer for that uni). It's not enforced - you have to make the conscious decision to put it down as a preference, and then to accept the place, and then to sign the contract. Given the choice between bonded and nothing, i took the place - obviously i'd have preferred normal CSP, but what can you do...
I guess it is enforced in the sense that if you want the place this year at that uni, you have to have it bonded, and if you don't want that, you have to face up to it and try somewhere else or next year.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
thats only at unsw...all other places you just apply for the CSP (formerly known as HECS) place and whatever you get it's up to you whether you take it or leave it. It's not as if you say "Oh I definitely want to go rural so I'll just put down my BMP place followed by a CSP place". A CSP place doesn't preclude you from practicing in rural areas in the future.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
inasero said:
A CSP place doesn't preclude you from practicing in rural areas in the future.
lol you would hope that goes without saying! =p

inasero

Reborn
HSC
NB: I changed the title of this thread. Users please title the threads accordingly instead of merely "Quick Question"- it makes our (moderators) job much easier and allows easier searching of topics for future forum users :)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
inasero said:
thats only at unsw...all other places you just apply for the CSP (formerly known as HECS) place and whatever you get it's up to you whether you take it or leave it. It's not as if you say "Oh I definitely want to go rural so I'll just put down my BMP place followed by a CSP place". A CSP place doesn't preclude you from practicing in rural areas in the future.
i thought back in our day..
melb and monash had separate codes for it.. CSP and BMP
Adel sends u paper to be considered for it... hence i didnt get BSP unlike one of my friends.. who later got upgraded..

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Actually Wilson, each school requires you to advise them whether or not you would be willing to consider BMP, CSP and/or MRBS (though for MRBS it's really an application). This isn't just at UNSW but at all schools.

Thus, if you don't want a BMP then you just say you would not consider it. When the school comes to offer BMPs they look at the list and see who is eligible that said they would consider it, if you're there they offer it to you. If you're eligible but said you wouldn't consider it, then you just don't get an offer.

As for the quality of candidature, nobody has ever tried to use my bonded place against me. But that's because they think I know everything. :rolleyes: See what a year of uni does? It makes you a god of wisdom in the eyes of mere school leavers, even those elite 99.95 med students.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Im sorry if this seems a stupid question, but is medicine dominated with people who try to think they know everything and hence make u feel like shit? I.e. is it really full of arrogant people? Which uni is probably the most down to Earth (if there is a generalisation..)? (im assuming Adelaide?)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
u cant make generalisations about med schools like unsw is cool or adelaide is laid back (unless of course you have studied at all of them)...each uni has their arrogant and humble students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)